3 | glowing

Tauren

Tauren

It's a stabbing pulse trickling down my spine that awakens me in the dead of night. It crackles like electricity, sizzling over my skin as it drips down my body. I yelp slightly, more in surprise than pain. The initial light pain fades into a static shock that leaves my hair standing on end. Struggling to sit up, I yank my lamp cord to illuminate the room in light. I don't see anything at all. It's perfectly normal. No electrical shortages, nothing. I'm about to lie back down, absolutely convinced that I'm dreaming a particularly vivid dream, but my phone buzzes, so I glance at the display briefly.

Scorpius's name flashes over the display. I consider not answering, but he's not the worst person to call me at night, so why not? He hates having his time wasted, and so do I. It couldn't take that long. Swiping right, I greet him quietly with a short "Why."

A clamor of voices rise above him and I groan as the faces of three other Hell Zoners pop up on my screen, as Scorpius adds me to a conference call. "Let me amend this. It is three in the fucking morning. I am going to slap one of you and it's not going to be Scorpius —"

"That's what I said!" Aqualia demands, looking extremely ruffled. At least, the outline of her face in the dark looks angry and ruffled. Her camera blurs slightly and she presumably flips her screen over so that the camera goes dark.

"That's what she said!" echoes Leo pompously to be met with a middle finger shoved towards Aqualia's camera lens.

"Shut the fuck up, is what I say!" Scorpius argues back, choosing not to acknowledge my statement. A short fight occurs, but just as I've almost hung up on the call, Aqualia flips her camera back on and demands to know what is going on.

"Shit exploded," Scorpius cuts to the point easily. "One of my walls exploded, to put this bluntly."

Leo grins slightly, his camera view grainy as he hasn't even turned on the light, so his smile is unnatural and strange. Like his fake personality. "That was honestly my fault," he admits. "But. I bloomed!"

"For the last time, you are not a rare flower, Leo," Aqualia whispers, her voice radiating pure exhaustion.

"No — what I mean is that I'm glowing now," Leo states. "I ... think that the stones are radioactive. Because I'm glowing. I touched some cancile and it charged fully."

"Alright, meeting over, someone book Leo into an asylum," Scorpius claps his hands, deeply unimpressed. "And he thought Vienna would go insane before he did, huh. Damn he's stupid. I liked Vienna more, even if she is insane."

"I am actually glowing, dumbass," Leo hisses, quite incensed by now. "I got my powers."

"So what do they do then?" I ask. Like the rest of the Hell Zone, I don't have any abilities. I think that's part of the reason why we bonded, while random people sat there and melted into the shadows or used their other very special abilities.