52 - Where We Burn

Arietta

Partners In Crime ~ Set It Off

Sagittaria

A Deadpool trait is to be impulsive. Yes, I'm trying to excuse my behavior. With a sigh, I step back, wishing I hadn't said those last pointed words. If only Aquaria and Pisces could hurry the fuck up and come back -

Ari tips his head to the side, confusion written over his infuriating face. Sometimes I think Ari must be thicker than Carina, who is an emotion reader but thick as concrete. "...what?"

"You're so stupid," I bury my head in my hand, feeling my face heat up. Why did I even befriend this moron?

"Or maybe you're being confusing," he adds before hesitating. "I ... I fucked up with Peridot. But I don't understand why you would care about her if we were friends, so I never talked to you about it!"

"You thick ..." I mumble again, sinking into a seated position, keeping my face buried in my hands so that he wouldn't be able to see my flushed cheeks and expression. "I care about you."

"Yeah, well, you're my best friend. I care about you too!" Ari's voice becomes more heated as he places a hand on my shoulder and I seriously contemplate how dense he possibly can become.

"No -" I start, only getting more flustered by the minute. "It's not that, I mean, it's not just that, I -" I pause in the middle of the sentence I wouldn't have ended anyway as Ari places a hand under my chin and tilts my head up, orange eyes analyzing my face with a strange sense of calm.

"Sagittaria, I'm serious when I say I do care about you. If there's something you want to know, I will truthfully tell you about it. I want you to be able to trust me. So, is there anything you want to say to me right now?" Ari's voice dips low and quiet, my breath softly catching in my throat. I know he seems really thick, but he's always been there for me.

"I mean, yes ... yeah there is," I match his quiet tone. "I've been hoping that someday we could have an actual relationship."

As Ari doesn't respond to that, I go a step further. "It's been some time that I've ... liked you a lot," I finally pull my head back, my eyes magnetized to the floor as if it's the one thing that can save my life. Please don't think about that. Don't think about what I just said.

"Ah -" Ari's voice rasps slightly in surprise as he grips my chin again gently, his fingers cupping my face as he crouches down to look at me. I wonder if I could run in the opposite direction, or if a wall could conveniently become liquid - "uh. Thanks?"

I raise my eyes to his, noticing a deep red coloring his cheeks as he splutters something, "That was not what I meant to say!" he defends, a snort of laughter escaping his lips. The vise over my chest loosens a little as I realize that I'm not the only one being awkward here. I can't help a little cackle.