49 - Sudden Moves

Aquaria

Aquaria

The hell is that?" I mumble, staring judgmentally at his back. He hasn't brushed his hair for a day. Or washed it. And his assistant could be shorter than Nia. Not that I care. No, I don't care. I do not consider height a measurement of dominance.

Okay, so, what if I do? Caprice nudges me slightly, "I think I recognize that guy. Don't know why. Just do. You know that feeling?"

"It has a fancy word for it that I don't know, yes, I know that feeling," pipes in Gemi wisely. But of course, Gemi the Innocent Child is too loud, like he always is. I shoot him a glare halfheartedly.

As the figures freeze and the man spins around, hand drawing a pistol–like weapon from his belt, I somehow recognize him. He's the Corrupted who took Miasma. I know, he's just that ugly that he doesn't look much different as a monster. I force myself to say that just so that I have a reason to try and kill him. And die trying, of course. What a lovely way to go out.

Well, wait, no, he's kind of hot, but that's probably not the point. The point is probably how we're all going to die

I hiss and duck as a blast ricochets through the cavern, knocking Carina clean off her feet. She deserves it. The man has both hands on the pistol, aiming it next at me.

It's another of those stupid weapons that are powered by the user's element. Of course it had to be. So of course either Caprice or I can wield it. And of course it'll end up being me. Just watch. I always get crappy luck anyway.

"Solaris," mumbles Leilani under her breath. "His name. Solaris." Really, Leilani, and that was so important for you to mention

I realize that time feels as if it's frozen for me. A mistake not to move, which I do, but almost too late. I dive under a table as another blast knocks vials off tables. And I know, if I get the gun — I need to get the gun. It could give us an advantage. Because otherwise, we're all going to die. And Pisces is unconscious. We're all drained as hell, too. And by advantage I mean a chance to run.

I place my hand on my combat boots, feeling for the knife I have carried since I was ten years old. I don't want to use it, in case I lose the thing that probably matters most to me. It's been the one constant when everything has changed. Even I changed.

Smooth as it pierces into flesh, scream of rage, ragged breaths, darting down stairs in a panic, can't go back, don't want to go back, never want to go back, they can't help me, why am I going to them? But he won't find me there, and they won't let him in ...

I will use it. If I have to. I scramble out from under the desk, dragging Leilani with me as the shattered pieces of wood are flung against the wall. All of this havoc, Solaris is wreaking solely with his power channeled through this weapon. He's too smart to turn into a monster, where he might get trapped. And his assistant is trying to get out, not even trying to fight. I guess she thinks Solaris has us trapped. He probably does. Corrupted are smarter than us, which isn't saying much, admittedly.