47 - Fear and Fury

Carina

Carina

Damn, I didn't miss Nia. I voice my opinion, too. I've always told Nia teasingly that I hate her, or that I highly dislike her. I do, sort of, like her. I mean, she's nice enough, and she did save my annoying older brother.

Scorpio shoots me a disgusted look at my proclamation and I merely stretch my lips into a grin, forcing my way to the front to peer between the bars into the darkness. I can see nothing, just some blonde hair. My heart jumps as I notice the blue and green highlights, faded but still visible. "Hey Nia, what's up?" I whisper, deciding to keep my voice down.

I get no answer. I glance behind me at Ari, gripping the bars. They seem ... meltable. Sneaking a look at Ari, I see that we've had the same thought. I remove my hands from the bars as Ari strokes his hand over them slowly, almost lovingly, melted metal steaming as it collapses into puddles.

"I'm going to see if it's Nia," Sagittaria pushes past me, her hand closed around Scorpio's wrist as she drags the unwilling brunette after her. His expression is a mix of frustration and concern. I can tell that first, he doesn't want to follow a Deadpool, especially the crazy arsonist, but he does want to see Nia.

"You're fine." It's a cold statement that yanks me out of the pit of misery in my mind. I raise my head, nails digging into my tearstained cheeks, finding it difficult to meet the piercing stare of my older brother.

"What if I'm not?" He knows I'm not. So why does he say this? I feel the stinging pain across my cheeks, the blood welling up in the scrapes my nails have caused.

"You're alive," is the simple three words that Scorpio speaks, tentatively reaching out a hand to comb through my tangled hair. "And I'll make sure you stay alive, sister mine. And I'll make sure you're more than fine."

"I should be there, not them," points out Gemi uncertainly, pointing to the fact that Nia's his twin sister, but I object.

"You are probably one of our most useless, so shut up," I say, repressing the smirk that threatens to rise to my lips. I've always laughed at the wrong times, smiled at the wrong things, but I guess I'm just like that. Also, I'm right. Gemi does have the useful ability of suffocating people, but he's probably too soft to use it. Useless having an ability that you don't use, right?

It's not more than two minutes until Sagitta pokes her head out, flicking a hand. "Come on. It's fine."

I'm the first one through, darting to the crumpled figure in a corner of the cell. Small and curled up. The unmistakable stench of blood rises up from the body — I'd almost thought corpse, since the smell is so strong. Scorpio is hunched over in a crouch next to her. My eyes adjust slightly to the dark, until a ball of fire flares above Leo's palm and he moves towards us, chewing his lip furiously. I'd turned my head automatically, not wanting to see who the body is. What's happened to it. But Scorpio sucks in a quick breath — Scorpio, who had carried me home after that. The slashing scars over my neck itch at the thought and I push the memories down, absently scratching at them. The long scars that would always catch your attention if you looked hard enough.