51 - Straight To The End

Carina

Carina

"Leo, shut the hell up," is the first phrase uttered in the absolute blackness.

"Why, what's up?" Leo calls as I stretch out a hand, feeling around in the dark tentatively, hoping I don't stab someone in the eyeball. My intrusive thoughts present the image of a fingernail scraping an eyeball, and I wince, reflexively touching my eye.

"Your head when I yank it off your neck and mount it on a pole," Vienna answers before I can. Damn, how bloodthirsty is she? I don't blame her though, I've thought about killing Leo multiple times, but then Vienna seems to read my mind and tries to poison him.

"It would rot and then it would stink," Scorpio adds thoughtfully, "freeze it."

"That's kinky, Vienna," yells Leo from somewhere.

"DIE, CLOWN!" Vienna screams and for half a second I remember all before this started. I remember the Danger Trio.

"Why the hell are you hissing at me?" Scorpio leans back and crosses his arms irritably.

"Okay so technically it's a demon defense mechanism, since demon fangs are sharp and shit —" Aquaria launches into an explanation that has nothing to do with her nearly literally attacking her best friend.

"They're not," Scorpio interrupts her long–winded explanation.

"Want me to bite you?"

I shove the door open to punctuate that last word with the doorknob creating a deeper dent in the wall as I announce cheerfully, "That's kinky, you know?"

"SHUT UP —"

My eyes flicker open. The Danger Trio will never be something again. I don't think any of us will be the same again. We've built new friendships and rivalries and so much more over these weeks. Has it been a month already? Has it been more?

"Leilani, you know I'm terrified of spiders," squeaks Leo, dodging behind the white haired girl as Gemi opens his palm in delight, a large thick–bodied spider scurrying up his sleeve.

"I hate clowns, but I'm tolerating you," Leilani deadpans as she watches the spider emerge onto Gemi's throat.

"Oh, what a burn," Ari claps slowly, leaning on Leilani as he rolls his eyes at Leo.

Out of nowhere, Taurus charges in wearing a clown wig, Nia in hot pursuit waving a floppy foam sword as she shouts, "DIE, CLOWN!"

"I'M NOT A CLOWN!" Taurus yells back as he ducks and runs back through the hallway he came from, Nia still chasing him.

"DIE, SIMP!" Nia screeches. Ari, Leilani, and I shrug at each other with identical looks of confusion mirrored in each others' eyes.

And for a moment I flash back to when all I had to worry about was final exams and Scorpio getting stabbed between the ribs in his sleep. And now, I have this to worry about. I don't want to; I hate being able to control water. I hate everything. I know these people, but I'm not the right person to be going through this. This could only be worse if the people I'm going through hell with were strangers. Luckily, we're not going through hell and these idiots aren't strangers. Unluckily, they're idiots.