13 - Runaway Shadows

Ari

Ari

We made it. I'm still shocked. We made it. I must admit, I didn't actually think we could. I didn't think we could drag Leilani up here, but we did. And when Pisces grabbed her, I completely gave up on her. Somehow, though ... the stars are with us.

Aquaria and Carina got Pisces up here. Both of them have one arm around the Shard.

I glance around, remembering two things. One, I'm leader. Two, Caprice wants to be the leader.

I can't just abandon my post for a Deadpool to take over it. Nothing against Sagittaria. I absolutely love her. Well, like a friend. Definitely just like a friend. What I mean is that Caprice and Aquaria do not make good decisions. There's the legendary Deadpool Code, for example. That concoction is Caprice's fault.

"Where are we? Anyone has a flashlight?"

Gemi's face is illuminated by his phone flashlight as he wordlessly switches it on.

The train car is full of what looks like canned food.

"Ew. Canned pineapple," says Carina, wrinkling her nose.

"Lentils. Why?" Leo says with a huff as he drops a can with a clang.

I yawn. "What time is it?"

Vienna checks her phone. "It's ten seventeen and forty-two seconds," she reports with a grin. "Because I like to be petty and detailed."

"Oh, V! You have a sense of humor!" Leo calls. Which is a nice change from screaming at her.

"Um ..." Vienna says. I feel that she's running through her mental dictionary of emergency situations but can't find what to do if Leo talks civilly to you. "Thanks? I guess I do."

Gemi puts his phone down on the floor, so the light shines up to the ceiling. We can see each other a bit better now.

"So, boss!" Sagittaria says as I stifle another yawn. "What do we do?"

"We sleep. Obviously," I shrug.

When I wake up, the first thing I realize is that I'm in a very uncomfortable position. The floor is cold and doesn't lend itself very well to sleeping on. Second, we don't have any water besides Gemi's water bottle that Scorpio snatched and Vienna's emergency rations. That's all used up now. And I'm thirsty. I don't doubt that everyone else is, too.

Oh, yes, leader. What do we do now? My mind seems to mock me. I sit up and wince as a stabbing pain lances through my head. Apparently I have a stress headache now, too. Unsurprising. Then again, Taurus calls me a chronic complainer. Correctly.

"Ugh, what time is it?" I groan, realizing how dark it is.

"Shush!" snaps a voice from the shadows. I squint, my vision sleep-blurred, but I don't see anything. A can of kidney beans pelts my shoulder and I turn around. Behind me, knees drawn up to her chest, is Caprice.