17 - The Corruptables? Sounds Correct

Sagittaria

Sagittaria

Well, crap. Apparently despite our unbelievable cleverness, we managed to get caught by whatever this creepy figure thing is. Yes, we're so capable.

I grip onto the nearest warm thing there is. Which is Carina's hand. And since Carina doesn't seem to notice, I don't let go.

"Well, well. Where do you think you're going?"

Leo grimaces in disgust and runs his fingers through his orange hair, specked with dirt. "That's so overused. Like, every movie villain ever says that."

The figure's kinda taken aback by Leo's guts. And I think I recognize that voice.

"Miasma!" I gasp. She's betrayed us, of course she did —

"I thought you were supposed to be back at the base," Miasma continues, pulling the mask off. "Somehow, you escaped."

"Yeah," I say defiantly, "and we're not going back."

"I like your guts, but you are," Miasma says with a snort. "Or I'll make you."

"Oh, shut up," Vienna snickers acidly. We all make sure it's her who said that, because it's very un-Vienna-ish. "You are not, and you know that."

"We're going to find Antares," Scorpio says. His voice is calm and cold as ever. You wouldn't guess that he's doing what he does best. Lying. To be fair, I'm kind of biased. I'm a Deadpool, after all.

"You aren't." Miasma says, her green eyes flicking between each of us. Her face is sharp and angular, almost snakelike. She's pale, too, almost bone-white. She's definitely at least three-fourths demonborn.

"Where do you think we're going?" snaps Leilani. "Now shove off. We're gonna find someone who's actually going to help us, not shove us in a storage room like cans of sardines all wrapped up in a bow."

I glance at Nia, who wears a bemused expression. She's probably itching to correct Leilani, Most cans of sardines are not wrapped up in a bow.

"Antares wouldn't do that," Carina says. Her voice is loud, coming from right next to my ear. I flinch.

"I — how would you know?" Miasma stares at Carina and I can't help but grin. Sometimes having a little emotion reader can come in handy.

Carina smiles deceptively. "He let us experience everything firsthand. Ari nearly died along the way."

Ari snickers from somewhere behind me and Miasma sighs. "That's Antares." Then she snaps back into focus, "Doesn't mean I'm letting you go anywhere. The only place you're going —"

"Is out of this battlefield where we're only going to get killed by the Corruptables," Pisces says. He's normally pretty shy, but now he has no problems with speaking up. He knows how it's going to end up.