Back Home, For Some...

"Sirius, have you ever heard of someone casting a spell without holding their wand?"

"Say what?" Sirius stopped his cleaning and looked over at his previously silent godson. Harry was laying back fully, eyes fixed on the wand he held at arm's length. Every ten or so seconds, he'd twirl it, a trick Tonks had taught him earlier that week.

Speaking of Tonks, it seemed his little cousin had achieved an almost obsessive devotion to tutoring Percy Jackson until she saw fit. The two had largely secluded themselves from the others in the house, literally only coming down from their makeshift attic-training-space to eat or use the loo.

Rumors had even spread that they had become an item and Sirius, for once, was unsure if the rumors held some truth to them. When he actually laid eyes on them, Percy and Tonks seemed glued to one another, grabbing things the other needed before they asked and always moving as a unit.

Regardless of whether the young pair had become a couple or not, the disappearance of two such integral personalities seemed to sap the air right from Grimmauld Place. Harry, Hermione, and Sirius himself admittedly, were the most visibly depleted of the Order, though the bored silence seemed to reach everyone at sometime or another.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Sirius focused back on Harry. "Do you mean wandless magic, or actually still using the wand but not holding it?"

At his question, Harry gave him a bemused look. "Both I suppose?"

"Well, sure I have." Said Sirius, his attention returning to the cracked wall he was fixing. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, ever since I've come here, magic seems...easier?" Harry fumbled, trying to put his thoughts into words. "Like, last night when I dropped my wand in the dark, I said Lumos out of habit-"

"The wand lit up, I take it?" Sirius asked, getting a nod in return. "Not bad, kiddo."

"I think it would mean more if I had at least a slight idea of what I was doing." Said Harry, rubbing his neck in embarrassment. "Or if it were even remotely impressive. You never answered my question."

"Actually, I did." Sirius smirked. "But, to your unasked question, what you did is still considered wand magic. It used your wand, after all."

"Makes sense. Can it work with other spells?" Harry asked, sitting up in his seat.

"Yes and no?" Sirius considered his own wand for a moment before shaking his head. "Doing magic without your wand in your hand isn't that uncommon of a skill. What do you think accidental magic is? Thing is, it usually doesn't work well and whatever does work is fairly useless compared to actually having a wand in hand. People who can use it rarely do so, if at all. Why would you?"

"I guess..."

"What's got you thinking about magic so much lately?"

"Really, Sirius?"

"I'm just asking for a little elaboration here." The man said. "I only know what I can see after all, and that's mainly you on your ass or unconscious."

Harry just sighed, eyes once again moving to his wand. "I've never... felt magic so much before. Magic that's mine and that isn't, like a thing in the background that never goes away. I mean I just know it's magic. How could it not be?"

Harry finally caught Sirius' eye and held his gaze in an extended silence. "There's something wrong with me isn't there?" Harry said finally, less a question than stating a fact.

"Wrong?" Sirius parroted. "Of course not. I think we'd be lying if we said that nothing changed, but certainly there isn't anything wrong with you. I think it's pretty clear you're still all there the way you should be. You're just growing into your magic." He gave the boy a reassuring grin before checking his watch. "Look, it's late. Head to bed and put this all out of your head for now. You can think all about your freakish mutations tomorrow."