Thalia Grace is a Twig

Hecate handed Percy a stack of paper. "Write down all the formulas you know along with the first three sets of basic rune structure."

Percy took the paper and sighed as he readied his quill and ink. "Had I known magic involved this much work, I would have just stayed hidden in the mortal world instead."

"That must be the fifth time you told me that today Jackson. Stop complaining, it's not an attractive quality." Hecate summoned a glass of wine for herself as she sat down in front of Percy. "Begin."

Percy nodded as he quickly looked over the question sheets and began to answer them as best as he could. He didn't wear the blood band, which he did every time Hecate tested him. The goddess wanted him to answer these questions without any outside help.

Percy hummed as he tackled the Arithmancy problems first. As Hecate said, when he first started they were similar to his number tables. He didn't have much choice but to mug them up, they were the basic concepts of Arithmancy, he needed to learn.

'Let's see, the formula for a twist motion? (M x 4) +number of inches in wand length. Flick, (M x 2) +number of inches in wand length. Stab, hmm...well I suppose that's a tricky one...'

Percy went on for the better half of the morning. At well past noon, he put down his quill and handed the goddess the completed exam paper.

The goddess cast her grading spell on it and smiled as the number '84%' came up.

Percy grinned. "Am I good, or am I good?"

"Don't get cocky kid."

"Did you just quote Star Wars?"

"Yup!" Hecate grinned triumphantly. "And Iris said I wasn't in with the kids."

"Right." Percy responded unsure with what to say. He cleared his throat. "Anyway, I'm done with Runes and Arithmancy, right? Does that mean I can get a wand now?"

"Not so fast kid, you're not nearly close to being done. This was just the theory part, you still need to cover the practical area."

"Cool! Will it be like potions?"

"Yes, it will. I think you are going to enjoy it quite a bit actually." Hecate smiled. "Now, shall we begin?" She snapped her fingers and vanished the question paper and quickly sent away the books Percy's was studying.

"But wait. How am I going to practice all of this practically?"

"Well, you can't really do Arithmancy practically just yet. You need to be a lot more experienced to even think about creating new spells. And that means you need a wand, which you aren't going to get just yet. So for now we'll skip that bit. But we are going to do a rune carving session, which I think you will enjoy."

Hecate snapped her fingers summoning a giant black bag about two feet tall and a wooden bow that was decorated with runes. Percy recognized a few of them, there were runes for protection, safety, and comfort but there were also a bunch that he had no clue about. Percy groaned. "Hecate, why don't I recognize some of these runes?"

"Hmm? Oh, you aren't that advanced yet Percy. You just essentially learned your ABC's, these runes are practically a whole new language. Don't worry though, I'll teach them to you soon enough. Now go ahead, open the box."

Percy nodded as he carefully opened the latch and gently lifted the cover.

Inside were tools Percy recognized from his rune books. They were used to carve runes. One was a blade with teeth along its edges. It had a wooden handle with gold near the blade with runes for 'sharpness' probably to keep its edge. It was called an imber and was used to carve runes.