A Winter's Tale

(A/N: Merry Christmas everyone!!! This is a more sad one shot to balance out the happiness for today..sorry 😅)

Voyeur POV

Words: 3146

It was Christmas 1991. Usually, this was a time for the Queen members to get shitfaced and enjoy some quality time with their band mates. But not this year. Because Freddie was gone, and he wasn't coming back to celebrate Christmas with them. John had taken a much needed break and escaped to Japan with his wife and kids for Christmas. That left Brian and Roger alone in their countryside home. No-one to spend Christmas with except themselves and their families, who were popping round for the day.

Brian was the first to wake, and his heart felt heavy as he watched his husband slumber next to him. None of the overwhelming excitement and happiness that was usually present on Christmas filled his head and heart; instead it was just the cold reality that they'd be spending their first Christmas without their band mates, and best friends, since 1970. That was a 21 year tradition that was being broken this Christmas. Brian bit his lip as the tears welled in his eyes. The wound was still fresh and bleeding from their dear friend's death, and salt was just rubbed in it by them having to spend their first Christmas without him. Brian couldn't hold it back any longer, and the tears started rolling silently down his face as he dwelled on the prospect of only having his husband to spend Christmas with. Of course, he was eternally grateful that his husband was still there. He felt that if Roger was gone too he would be worthless.

He forced his mind to move away from any thoughts of losing Roger, and instead wrapped an arm around his husband's shoulders and pulled him closer. He buried his face in Roger's hair and let his tears run freely. He tried to be as silent as possible, but little hiccups kept escaping him, and inevitably Roger woke up and was met with the feeling of Brian clinging to him and crying softly. The drummer could easily guess what it was about, as he felt the same piercing sadness fill his being when he realised Freddie and Deaky did not wake them up by yelling 'Merry Christmas!' at them that morning. Roger pushed Brian's chest and forced the older man to let go of him for a second.

"Rog..I can't.." Brian whimpered and Roger's heart shattered even more at the devastated state of his husband. He forced them to sit up and pulled Brian against his chest, cradling the older man as his own tears threatened to spill.

"Shh, Bri. I know, I know.." Roger whispered sweet nothings into the guitarists ear in an attempt to soothe the poor man's broken heart. "I know that Freddie isn't here..and Deaky's gone away, but we can look forward to spending a Christmas with our families instead!" Roger did actually feel a little spark of excitement at the thought: he missed his family.

With a sniffle, Brian pulled away from Roger's chest and nodded, wiping his eyes.

"I'm sorry..I just let my head get to me, like usual.." a dry chuckle escaped Brian's lips as he spoke.

"I know, babe. Now why don't we go turn all the Christmas lights on and get everything ready for the day?" Roger coaxed, and Brian nodded stiffly and yawned. They got up and ready for the day, and started the task of preparing the house for their visitors.

"Wait, so how many people are coming? There's my parents, your parents, my sister and her kids and her husband, and our kids?" Roger's face showed confusion as he tried to add it up in his head, whilst switching some lights on.

"10." Brian answered without thought as he too switched on some lights.

"I keep forgetting you're a maths whizz." Roger chuckled and flipped the switch for the last set of lights, illuminating the kitchen in a soft yellow glow.