It Ain't Easy

hi everyone! this is a 5 times ... and the 1 time ... one shot. i challenged myself to write about 1000 words for each part!

Voyeur POV

1.

She'd been droning on for what felt like hours about her job in accounting. Brian was sure he could feel his mind distancing itself from the conversation as she just kept on talking. He desperately brought his focus back to her as she just kept on talking about herself and her complaints about her job. Sipping his wine, he mused that he'd need at least another glass if he was going to stay even the smallest bit interested in his date.

"Are you even listening to me?"

His date's annoyed huff made him avert his gaze back to hers. He felt guilt rise up in his chest.

"Yes. Sorry. Continue."

She just stared at him incredulously. He gave her a confused smile, but she just huffed again and stood up. Reaching into her bag, she threw some money down on the table and left without another word or glance at him.

That was a new record. They hadn't even ordered any food yet and he'd already managed to scare his date off. It's not like he was particularly miffed about this one, she seemed far too stuck up for his tastes anyway. Sighing to himself, he decided to finish his glass of wine and leave himself.

It looked like he wouldn't be needing any more glasses after all.

A waiter appeared by the side of the table. "Would you like to order?"

Brian shook his head. "No. Sorry. I've got no one to eat with anymore. Would it be okay if I just paid for the wine?"

"That's okay, sir. I'm sorry about your evening." The waiter offered him a sad smile. Brian shrugged, offering the waiter a sad smile.

"It's okay. Here." He handed the waiter the coins his date had left and a few of his own to pay for the wine. The waiter nodded and bid him a good evening despite the unfortunate outcome of his meal. He finished his wine quickly and left the glass on the table as he stood up and politely tucked his chair under the table. Folding his coat under his arm, he gave one last disappointed and wistful look towards his table before leaving.

The walk back to his flat allowed him time to ponder. The evening air was crisp and fresh and he took a deep lungful of it. Watching it spiral out of his mouth in a white mist, he laughed a little to himself as he realised he couldn't even remember his date's name.

Maybe the failed evening was partly his fault as well. It wasn't just because she was stuck up, he sighed. He just wasn't interested at all. He took another deep breath before entering his flat. He knew he'd have to answer hundreds of questions as to why, once again, he'd come home early and without a partner.

The scrape of the key in the lock immediately alerted the other three occupants of the flat, and they were all waiting in the hall as Brian stepped inside. It had become a regular occurrence, them sacrificing the earliest part of their Saturday evening to see if Brian would be back early from his date that they'd set up for him.

He usually was. Blind dates obviously weren't his expertise. At all.

The evening could go two ways now. They'd either get pissed at home, consoling Brian. Or they'd get pissed at some bar or club, consoling their own needs.

"You're back even earlier than normal." Roger pointed out.

"Yes." Brian sighed, "she was boring."

"You always say that." Freddie grumbled, annoyed that his efforts of picking out what he thought were the perfect women for his friend never paid off.