2. It's been twelve years

Martino Roman Point of View.

It's been twelve agonizingly long years since the death of my wife and the mother to my children. It was the last time my family felt whole. I made a grave mistake that day, I sent my only daughter away.

My eldest son Vincenzo never forgave me. When I'm near him, I am extremely careful. Actually, I don't think that any of my boys have forgiven me.

I can't remember where I sent Luciana and the only guard that knew was killed in a car crash on his way back from the airport. For years I have been dreaming of getting lucky and finding her.

I was sitting in my office going over business plans with my eldest sons. Lorenzo was getting agitated when my phone rang, interrupting us.

"Why didn't you put that on silent", he snapped at me.

I ignored him and answered the call, "Who is this?"

"This is Officer Sparks from the Queens Police Department. May I speak with Martino Roman?"

"I'm Martino Roman."

"Yes, wonderful. The reason I'm contacting you Mr. Roman is because we have a Luciana Roman in our custody. You're listed on her emergency contact list."

It's not possible that my Luciana got arrested.

"What do you mean you have her in your custody?", I snapped with disbelief.

That had gotten my son's attention. I quickly placed my phone on my desk and put the call on speaker.

"Yes Mr. Roman, She was taken into custody late last night. The arresting officer stated that she threatened an employee at a liquor store, then stole a bottle of alcohol."

My goodness... that was the behavior I expected from my boys, not Luciana.

"Would it be possible for me to bail her out", I asked with a hinge of excitement hidden in my voice. This could be the miracle I had been hoping for.

"Let me see... yes you can Mr. Roman. It also appears that the employee of the store is not attempting to press any charges."

"I'm glad. It will take a few hours for me to fly to New York."

"That's understandable. It looks like Ms. Roman ran from her foster home over four years ago-"

I interrupted," I would like custody of my daughter."

"Of course, we should have all the proper paperwork ready when you arrive."

"Thank you", I said before hanging up the phone.

I leaned back in my chair slightly, processing everything.

"Well, I'll get on the jet, and we should be back by tomorrow evening at the latest", Vincenzo blurted, getting up from his chair and walking towards the door of my office.

"What are you talking about Vince, that's my daughter-"

He scoffed," Like she would want to see your face, you're the one who sent her away for something she had zero-part in."

I sighed. Vincenzo was right, Luciana probably didn't want to see me after everything. She was still my child, even if she wanted to kill me, I needed to see her.

"Vince, I'm going with you."

Before he could say anything else about me going, I quickly left my office. I went up to my room and grabbed my suitcase, Vince was waiting for me at the front door.

We sat in silence on the car ride to the airport, then on the plane, and to the police station. Once we got out of the car, I got nervous.

The officer who I spoke to, took us back to where they were keeping Luciana. Before going inside, I glanced into the one-way glass.

Luciana was almost a spitting image of her mother. Except for her eyes, she's always had my green eyes.

Vince cleared his throat, gaining my attention.

I went and opened the door quickly wanting to be with my daughter.

"Martino Roman", She said amused," Happen to send any of my siblings away?"

I was not expecting the remarks this soon. I turned around to go finish the paperwork, I happened to look at Vince. He had the same amused look on his face that she did.