Chapter 23

I wiped my eyes, trying to stop sobbing.
I put the phone face down so as not to see the screen, while taking a deep breath.
It was the second time in a month that I burst in tears because of that damn object. 
At that point I felt my phone vibrate. 
Chris was video calling me.
I wiped my face one last time, before answering, hoping that he wouldn't notice. 
-Hey...- I answered, quietly. 
-Hey there. What's wrong?- he asked, immediately changing his tone when he saw me.
-Nothing. I'm fine. How are you?- I tried to change the subject, giving him an unconvincing smile. 
-Were you crying?- he asked in a sweet tone and I didn't say anything -y/n. You can tell me everything, you know that? Right?- he asked, worriedly. 
-Yeah, Chris, I know, I know...- I said, looking away. 
-C'mon. Talk to me.- he smiled softly -I'm here for you.- 
-I...I...I read some...some comments about...about us...and...and...- I stammered, feeling some tears going down to my cheeks. 
-And let me guess they weren't nice, were they?- he asked, looking at me softly. 
-Yeah...- I nodded -We didn't even tell our family...or our friends...we don't even know what we are and I already see these comments...I...I'm not enough for you Chris...- I whispered, taking a deep breath. 
-Don't say that. Don't even think about it. Please.- he said -Don't say that you're not enough. Because you are more than enough.- 
-But...but...- I said, wiping my eyes. 
-Don't listen to them, alright? You're amazing, sweet, intelligent, funny, beautiful and a lot of other nice things. They are just jealous of you, understood?- he smiled.
-You...you really think so?- I asked, stammering and blushing. 
-Yes, I do and I always will. Can you give me a smile, mh?- he asked, giving me a warm smile. 
-Alright.- I nodded, smiling a little. 
-Good. Now keep that smile. Because I like to see your smile.- 
-Thanks, Chris, I needed that.- I said, feeling calmer than before and my heart beating faster. 
-Anytime, y/n/n. I'm here for you.- 
-Anyway you called me. Wanted to tell me something?- I asked him, changing the subject. 
-No, not really. I just wanted to talk to you because I missed you.- he explained, blushing a little -And I could feel something was wrong but I couldn't understand what was it, but now I do.- 
-I'm glad you called me. I really am.- I said, sitting more comfortably -I miss you too.- I admitted. 
-So how has been these days?- he asked.
-I've been better but also worse.- I shrugged -Luckily the work keep my mind busy from these thoughts.-
-Did you talk about this with someone?- he gave me a knowing look. 
-Not really...- 
-Not even Megan? Why?- he asked.
-She already has a lot of things to think about, I don't want to be a weight for her.- I explained. 
-You aren't a weight. You're her friend. I think she really would like to know this situation.- 
-Yeah...okay. I'll talk to her tomorrow.- I gave him a little nod -What about you? How are you?- 
-I'm talking to you so I'm fine.- he smiled and gave me a wink.
-You're so cheeky, Evans.- I rolled my eyes, feeling my cheeks heated up. 
-And you're blushing, so who's the more guilty between us?- he asked -But really thought, I'm fine. I'm just out because I'm filming some scenes and I miss Dodger a lot.- 
-Who's looking after him?- I asked, playing around with my hair.
-My brother Scott. He's actually in London is and...- in that moment his phone rang -It's a message. Just a moment, sorry.- he said.
-Yeah, of course.- I nodded. 
-Oh shit.- he cursed, passing a hand on his face. 
-Something's wrong?- I asked him.
-Yeah. Scott has to be on set all day these two weeks and he can't look after Dodger.- he sighed -Where I can find someone in like ten minutes?- he sighed loudly. 
-I can look after him.- I proposed. 
-Really?- he asked, lighten up. 
-Yeah. I mean he likes me and I like him. Why not?- I smiled. 
-Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're a life saver.- he smiled at me.
-You're welcome, Chris. I owe you after all you did for me.- 
-You don't owe me anything, really. But alright then. I'll text Scott your address so he can bring Dodger today. It's fine for you?- 
-Absolutely. Today's my free day so I'm home.- I shrugged. 
-This is amazing. You're amazing.- he said, making me blush.
-C'mon stop, Chris.- I said, covering my face with my hands. 
-But it's true.- he complained, smiling. 
-I'll end the call and never return Dodger to you if you don't stop.- I threatened him, trying to hold back a laugh. 
-No, don't please. How will I live?- he asked in a dramatic tone, then we both burst into laughter.
-Okay, we should stop or I'll seriously die.- I said, wiping my eyes from the too much laughter. 
-Yeah, you're right.- he said, then his phone rang again -Oh, it's Scott. He asks if it's okay at 4 pm today.-
-Mhmh, it's perfect.- I nodded.
Me and Chris talked for another hour then he had to go on the set, but he promised me that he would have called that evening just to check that everything was fine with me and Dodger. 
When we ended the call I sat on the couch and I decided to watch something on TV or read some book to pass the time, avoiding opening social media.