027; he's a fucking idiot

third person.

"do you remember when you were about ten and i was fourteen and we'd go to this one specific place every monday?" max looked at his sister, the two of them sat in his car and stopped at a red light.

"you mean the field?"

"no.." he shook his head, "that was friday's and you go with corbyn to that."

"then i don't know." she shrugged.

"okay.. that specific place was the cemetery." max told her as she slowly nodded, "...dad's grave?"

"oh." mollie paused, "..is that where we're going?"

"well, yes." max said, "i was going to take you for christmas last year but you were in florida, so.."

"why are we going to-"

"nana and grandpa are also buried there," max quickly said as mollie went quiet, looking at him as he pulled into the parking lot of the place, "we just didn't get a chance to go to grandpa's last year."

"and also," he continued, grabbing an envelope from his back seat and handing it to the girl, "found it in nana's house the other day, i've already opened mine."

"i'm not opening that." mollie shook her head, "i'm not ready for that."

"there's no rush." max said, turning his car off while he let out a sigh and leant back in his seat, noticing his sister look at him confused.

"..what are you doing?"

"i don't know." max shrugged, "i can't bring myself to walk over to them.. i need to take baby steps."

"usually we can see dad's from here." mollie told him.

"yeah, there's two more next to him." max nodded, "nana and grandpa."

she slowly nodded, staring at the three gravestones before sitting back in her seat properly and sighing, sitting in silent with her brother beside her while their eyes were fixed on the three family members.

and as she glanced to max every so often, there was occasionally a big gulp from him while he was heavily blinking, his shoulders dropping and his sleeves pulled over his hands.

"i feel like i've let you down." he admitted, breaking the silence between them while mollie continued to stare at him.

there was no reply to his confession, a simple sigh exchanged between them as he continued to admit his endless thoughts, refusing to remove his eyes from the three stones, "...i'm sorry i broke a promise."

"you didn't know." mollie shook her head, "i was in denial, it's not your fault."

max nodded, fiddling with the wedding ring on his finger while he let out another sigh trying to give himself the courage to be honest with his sister, "i'm.. i'm really struggling right now."

"i know you're struggling too i just haven't told anyone and i needed to tell someone." max continued, "i thought you'd be the best person to tell."

"struggling as in what?" mollie asked him, looking down at her hands while max took a gulp.

"i don't know." max said while turning to face her, "i don't trust myself to be alone and i'm not- i yelled at astrid and i feel so bad."

"you yelled at her?" she furrowed her eyebrows, watching him put his head in his hands.

"she was speaking about something we should do to take my mind off things and i was getting frustrated and i yelled at her and said she doesn't listen to me." max explained as mollie frowned, "she was understanding of it and so was her mom but i feel so bad."