One

June 15th of 1998
Narrator

She was crying again.

She was curled up in bed like she had been every day since she got home from the hospital.

She'd wake up, eat a little of the food that Fred brought her in bed, then she'd sleep some more.

She only got up to pee but sometimes not even that.

She was so depressed and if it hadn't been for Fred, she would've just laid in her own filth.

A few times, she had peed in the bed, no energy to go to the toilet, and while crying and apologising to Fred, he simply shook his head, helped her to the shower and assured her that it was okay.

He was there to help, but he was hurting too.

It hurt him to see her like that. It was around the same time during the day that he'd hear her cry in their bed.

He'd be doing the dishes after having convinced her to come eat dinner at the table but as soon as she got back to bed, she'd cry.

Fred would tear up and lean against the counter, wondering what he could do to help her.

He would do anything for her pain to end. He'd so anything to erase her memories of what happened to her.

He had considered one option. One option that made him hate himself for even thinking it.

Kai would hate him if she knew that he considered messing with her mind — her memories.

Sighing, Fred leaned on the counter with his hands, staring at the wand that laid in front of him.

He had just finished doing the dishes. Normally, he'd use magic but he needed to think about something else.

Though it was hard.

Kai was crying, trying to keep quiet. She didn't want him to hear her like that and Fred knew it.

He felt uneasy, staring at the wand until it felt like his eyes were close to popping out and rolling across the floor.

Even if he did do it, what about everyone else? About the people who knew what had happened to her? He'd have to erase their memories too.

Shaking his head, Fred grabbed the wand and put it in the waistband of his jeans, hiding it with his t-shirt, then he made his way down to the bedroom.

He pushed the door open and his eyes landed on her. His heart sunk and he wanted to cry at the way she laid there, her hand clutching the pillow while she cried into the fabric.

Fred moved his way around the bed, shushing her as he laid down and cuddled her, wrapping an arm around her.

"It's okay, pretty." He whispered and pressed a kiss to her shoulder.

Then he reached behind himself and pulled his wand from his jeans. He closed his eyes, his hand clutching the wand.

He tried to keeper himself from doing it, but he just needed her to be okay. He hated seeing her like this and he was scared that she was forever going to be broken.

He placed his wand at her temple and as Kai went to turn around to ask what he was doing, he muttered under his breath; "Obliviate."

He watched her as he expression completely changed. Her crying stopped and for a second, her eyes were closed, her face neutral.

Then she opened her eyes and she looked at him, nothing but love in her eyes.

"Are you okay?" She laughed. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

Fred just scanned over her face before he offered her a small smile.

"I'm okay." He assured her. "I'm just a little tired."

Kai raised her hand to brush her fingers over his chin and then she chuckled and leaned in to peck his lips before sitting up.

She stretched her arms above her head and her eyes landed on the clock on her nightstand.

"Have we had dinner?" She asked, pulling her legs over the edge of the bed. "I don't remember eating."

"You don't?" Fred asked, hating this with every fibre in his body. He just stared at the bed while pulling himself up to sit against the headboard.

"No..." Kai stood up. "...must be stress. I should've listened to you when you told me to take it easy at work."

She shook her head at herself as she walked over to change out of the sweats she was wearing, but Fred didn't look at her.

Kai didn't remember the trauma that Theodore Larch put her through. Fred had erased that, but she still remembered the war and the loses.

She remembered having been in bed crying for weeks but now it had just been because of the loss of her dad, as well as the loss of her brother seven months ago.

"I think I might want to see that grief counsellor after all." Kai said, and Fred finally looked at her. "I haven't been able to get out of bed for weeks, and while I can today, I've been too much of a burden for you."

Fred shook his head.

"You're not a burden." He assured her. "But a grief counsellor is a good idea. Do you need help finding one?"

"Yes please." Kai begged, pulling her jumper off, and Fred looked away, knowing she wasn't comfortable with him seeing her like that.

Well, that was before he obliviated her.

"I'm sorry." Fred felt the need to say, and Kai turned around, looking at her husband with her eyebrows raised.

"For what?"

He looked at her and her eyes met his.

"If I've ever hurt you." He said, and Kai chuckled, shaking her head at him.

"You haven't."