Twenty-eight

The next day, I went back to work. I had been home sick for weeks and while I still felt horrible throughout the day, I had decided to return to my shop and my responsibilities.

I guess seeing Fred made it easier for me. I had been nervous about returning to Diagon Alley, a few streets away from his own shop, but after seeing him, it somehow got easier.

I forced myself to stay in my office to sign a whole lot of paperwork. It was the best cure for the nausea I was feeling. It made me focus on something else, and being home sick for weeks, made sure I had so much paperwork to return to.

So much work to catch up on. There was several book orders that I needed to sign. Then there was paychecks coming up that I needed to sign off and those were the first things I got around to.

My employees getting paid was my priority.

I had ton of meetings within the next month. All meetings I had postponed because I couldn't get out of bed and because I thought I was sick.

Turns out it was pregnancy and that's not exactly something I can stay home from. Pregnancy lasts long and I can't stay home from work for nine months.

I mean, I can, since I own the shop, but it wouldn't be fair, and I like working. It keeps me going.

"Ms Brooks?" A knock sounded on my open door and I looked up to see Victoria, one of my employees stand there. "Your sister-in-law is asking for you."

Martha?

"I'll be right there." I said with a faint smile as I picked up a pile of papers I had just finished signing.

I put them in the pile of things going to the ministry, and then I walked around my desk, leaving my office.

Martha was looking at a book across the room, and I walked over to her. She looked at me, offering me a smile.

"I would've come and talked to you earlier." She said. "But I thought I'd give you some space. Figured you'd be upset with me."

"Why?" I asked. "Did you know?"

Martha sighed.

"I did."

I didn't say anything to that. I already suspected that she did, so I just nodded and turned, leading the way into my office.

Martha followed me and I shut the door behind her.

"Are you mad?" She asked as she took a seat in the chair opposite of my desk.

"Nope."

"You're not?"

"No. I can't say that I'm surprised." I said and sat down in my own chair.

Martha frowned at me, then folded her arms over her chest. "What is that supposed to mean?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know. Remember when you slept with my boyfriend? Or when you got together with my brother? Remember when we were fifteen, and you borrowed money from me that my dad had given me, and you never paid me back? It doesn't surprise me that you too lied to me for seven years."

"Kai, c'mon."

I tilted my head as I stared at her. I wasn't angry. Not the slightest. I had gotten so used to her disappointing me, that I no longer got disappointed or angry.

"I'm sorry that I've been such a horrible friend, but I thought we had put it behind us." She said and reached for my hand across the table, but I moved my hand back. "You're my best friend. We've always been best friends."