Seventy

Mature content

Fred paid the delivery guy before shutting the door, walking back into the living room where I sat on one side of the sofa table.

I was on the floor, sitting on the carpet which was white and nice and fluffy.

My legs were folded, and I watched Fred as he placed the pizza box on the middle of the table and then sat opposite of me.

I reached across the table to open the box and grab the first slice.

"I'm starving." I muttered, taking a bite, moaning at how great it tasted.

"What— they don't feed you at Hogwarts?" Fred joked.

"Shut up." I muttered. "I just had a slice of pie for lunch. I wasn't very hungry."

He nodded, watching me while grabbing his own slice of pizza.

"What did uh—" I sighed, and Fred tilted his head. "How'd it go today? You had that meeting about expanding internationally, right?"

Fred's eyebrows raised, and he broke into a smile.

"You remembered..."

I nodded.

"Of course. It was important to you."

I looked at him only to see him stare at me in shock, no idea what to say or how to react.

"Freddie... we have our issues, and I know I've been distant, but I didn't stop loving you. I didn't stop caring about you or the things that are important to you."

"I don't know. I just assumed—"

"That I didn't care?" I cut him off, frowning, and suddenly I no longer had an appetite.

I stared down at the carpet, shaking my head slowly.

"Kai..."

The guilt filled me up. The guilt of realising how bad it had been. I had made him think I didn't care about him anymore, when in reality I cared too much.

"Kai, hey." He said softly and I heard him put down his slice of pizza before crawling around the table.

He placed a hand on my thigh while his other hand gently cupped my chin. He raised my head and made me look at him.

"I'm sorry." I said, shaking my head. "I'm just tired."

I tried to move away, but he wasn't letting me go. He looked at my eyes with so much intensity, his eyebrows raised.

"No. Talk to me, love." He said. "Tell me what's wrong."

"You know what's wrong."

"Yeah, but how will we get better at communicating if you can't tell me?"

I bit down on my tongue, looking away from him, but he wasn't having it. He moved his head, catching my gaze again, and I sighed.

"Kai, please." He begged. "When did you start being scared of talking to me?"

"I don't know." I whispered. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Well, hurt me. I don't care, Kai. Just talk. Empty your fucking mind and tell me everything that's bothering me."

"Fred—"

"Spill. Talk to me. That's all I'm asking."

I inhaled sharply.

"I never meant to make you think I didn't care. I love you so much and I was just— I was feeling guilty that I couldn't give you a baby. But I still cared and I still listened to everything you told me. And I hate myself for pushing you to think I didn't love you anymore."