Five

"How was I supposed to know that they were closed today?"

Rolling my eyes, I poured water into a glass and brought it up to my lips.

"We'll go get a kitten once Christmas is over." Fred assured me, taking a step closer to the kitchen island.

I narrowed my eyes at him, taking another sip of my water while he continued to make his way towards me.

"You've been moody all day, lovely." He grinned, leaning against the island. "You're not still mad about this morning, are you?"

I scoffed.

"No."

"No?" He asked. "I think you are."

His fingers toyed with the hem of my shirt and while I clenched my jaw and tried to ignore him, I couldn't stop the butterflies at the way he charmed me.

I looked at him, seeing him smile cheekily at me while sliding his hands around my waist.

He pulled me close so that my chest was pressed to his, and I looked up at him with raised eyebrows.

"Fred—"

"Kiss me." He said softly, ducking his head a little.

"I'm not gonna kiss you."

"Kiss me." He repeated, running a hand along my neck.

"Fred, I'm not gonna kiss you!" I groaned. "Not until you apologise."

A smirk spread across his face.

"I knew you were still mad about this morning." He said. "What— you want me to go down on you now and finish what I started?"

I rolled my eyes and as Fred tugged slightly at my trousers, there was a very urgent knock on the door.

"Oh c'mon." Fred groaned and leaned back against the island again.

"What? You thought you were gonna get some?" I mocked, pouting at him and he clenched his jaw as he stared at me.

Winking at him, I turned and walked over to the door, chuckling slightly to myself while I unlocked the door and pulled it open.

My eyes landed on a little eight-year-old boy who stood on the other side of the door with his backpack held in front of him.

I sighed and leaned against the doorframe.

"Mum says she can't deal with me this year." He said, looking up at me. "She says I can sleep on your sofa."

I forced a smile at my little brother before stepping aside and he walked in like many times before.

"Hey buddy." I heard Fred greet as I shut the door. "Come to spend the night again?"

"Christmas, actually." Myeong said and walked over to the sofa.

He threw himself on it, threw his backpack next to him and reached for the remote so he could watch some television.

I ran a hand over my mouth while looking at Myeong, and then I looked at Fred, our eyes meeting.

We waited until Myeong was deeply mesmerised by whatever was happening in the television, and then I walked closer to Fred.

"She dropped him off again?" He asked quietly, and I nodded. "Merlin's beard... someone needs to get the ministry in on this."

"No." I shook my head. "Not happening. Forget about it."

Fred ran his hand through his hair and looked back at Myeong before looking at me again.

"This is neglect, Kai. She can't just drop her kid off at our place and expect us to take care of him." He said. "It's not fair on Myeong and it's not fair on us either. What if we weren't home? She hadn't stuck around to find out and then he would've been standing out there all alone."

I sighed, folding my arms over my chest.

"She's grieving, Fred—"

"It's been six years!" He raised his voice slightly. "No... six years and seven months, actually. Your father's death doesn't excuse this sort of behaviour. She should still be able to be a fucking mother to her kids!"

Myeong looked over towards us and I offered him a smile, but he simply looked at the television again and turned up the volume.

I grabbed Fred by the wrist, pulling him down towards the bedroom where I shut the door so we could talk about this without Myeong hearing.

"He needs someone who can take care of him." Fred told me. "And before you say that we can, no... we can't. We can't continue to condone this behaviour. This boy has almost been spending more nights at our place in his life than at his mothers. It isn't right."

Sighing, I ran my hands over my face before letting out a frustrated laugh.

"I can't call the ministry on my own mother, Fred!"

"Well, what's more important? Your relationship with your mother or the safety of your brother?!"

I bit down on my lip as I stared at him, and after a moment, Fred sighed and shook his head, taking a step towards me.

"He's being neglected, Kai."

I didn't get to answer before the door opened and I looked at Myeong who stood there with a hand on the handle, looking at us.

"You're making noise. I can't hear what they're saying." He said before he walked away again and back to the living room.

"I'm gonna go talk to him." I said before leaving the room.

I joined Myeong in the living room, taking a seat next to him on the sofa.

"What did mum say to you about staying here?" I asked softly as I placed a hand on his back.

"She said she would pick me up in January." He said and then looked at me. "She can't handle me this Christmas and New Years."

I nodded slightly.

"But that's okay." He said. "I like being here much more!"

He smiled at me and I repaid it before I looked at Fred who stood by the wall where the hallway met the living room.

He shook his head at me and I knew he really wanted to get a hold of the ministry to report it.

Mum had done this for the past six years and each time I had talked Fred out of reporting it.

It was so difficult for me to have to report my own mother for child neglect, but I got closer and closer to realising that it was the best thing for Myeong.

"Are you hungry?" I asked my brother. "Have you had lunch?"

He shook his head.

"Mum got angry when I asked if she could make some." He said. "I woke her up and she hates that."

"Alright." I breathed. "I'll make you a sandwich."

"Don't worry about it." Fred told me. "I'll make it."

I watched him walk into the kitchen and then I looked at Myeong again.

"We are happy to have you staying with us." I said with a small smile. "We're gonna have a wonderful Christmas together, yeah?"

"And New Years."

I chuckled.

"That too, yes."