Fifty-four

"How do I look?" I asked and walked into the bedroom while putting in the last earring.

Fred was wearing black dress pants, a white dress-shirt and he was in the middle of tying his tie when I walked in.

His eyes fell on me and he paused, staring at me through the mirror.

"Holy hell, Kai."

"I take it you like it, then?" I grinned, opening my arms before spinning around.

"Like it? Fucking hell you are beautiful."

He turned around and held out his hands when I walked closer to him.

I placed my hands in his and he stepped back to have a look at me.

"I have always loved green on you." He said, smiling. "It looks perfect against your skin."

He pulled me closer and let his fingers run under the strap that rested over my shoulder. Then he ran his hand up to the side of my neck and kissed me.

I let go of his hands and reached up to grab his tie. I was careful as I tied it for him, wanting it to look as perfect as possible.

"You really care about tonight, don't you?" He asked as he looked down at me.

"Of course I do."

"More than everyone else, I mean." He said.

I shrugged.

"We've been fighting a lot in the past couple of month. So many things have happened. Mum died, Maya blamed me for dad's death, Martha got arrested and is awaiting trial, and then there was the miscarriage. I am looking forward to a night where we have fun and reconnect with the people we went to school with."

A small hum came from Fred but he didn't say anything else. He kept staring down at me and when I finished doing his tie, he still stared at me.

"There you go." I smiled, patting his chest.

I felt a wave of nausea hit me and I pressed my lips together.

"What?" He asked. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I smiled. "I have to go fix my makeup. It didn't turn out quite how I wanted it to."

"Okay." He said quietly, watching me walk out of the bedroom.

I hurried into the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I pressed a hand to my mouth and leaned on the sink, trying to keep it down.

I hated that I had now reached the point where I got nauseous. Especially because I hadn't had the chance to tell Fred yet.

I mean, how was I even supposed to do that?

We had signed the first papers to start the adoption process. Once the ministry finds out, they'll put the adoption process on hold.

I had known for about a week. It was still really early. So early that I was one day late on my pregnancy when I took that test.

I only took it because I had a feeling that it was a good idea, and then those two lines stared back at me.

I didn't know how Fred and I kept running into this. We used protection. Well... the time with the triplets, we didn't because I was on the pill and I was going from one kind to another so there was a loophole and I got pregnant, but now...

Probably a bad condom or something.

It had been three months since my miscarriage, or maybe it was four.

I didn't remember exactly. I had been so depressed after that I lost track of time.

Now we're at the end of June.