Fifty-six

After saying goodbye to our friends for the evening, Fred and I decided to walk home instead of apparating.

My hand was in his and our fingers laced together. We were so close that our arms were touching.

"I can't believe you're actually pregnant." He spoke, giving my hand a squeeze. "Now I'm glad we didn't notice the condoms expiring."

Rolling my eyes at him, I gave his hand a squeeze.

"You didn't notice. I did."

"That's a minor detail." He shrugged. "What we need to focus on right now is making sure you have the best pregnancy ever. In the morning, I'll go buy some pregnancy vitamins. We'll make an appointment and—"

"Fred. Freddie." I sighed, looking up at him. "Can we please... just relax a little. I don't want to rush into a lot of things and get all excited only to have it taken away if I miscarry."

Fred let go of my hand and instead wrapped his arm around my shoulders as well as a kiss to my temple.

"A doctor can tell us if the pregnancy is at risk."

"No they can't. They told us with the other pregnancy that it was a healthy one, and I lost them."

"And that was triplets. There is always a risk with multiples. How about we make an appointment for an ultrasound and see if it's a risky pregnancy? Just to be on the safe side?"

I pressed my lips together and nodded.

"Fine."

Fred smiled and leaned down to kiss my cheek.

"I promise you it will go alright." He whispered.

He stopped and turned me to face him. His hands ran along my jaw and he tilted my head back to make me look up at him.

"I get why you're scared, alright?" He whispered and moved one hand to gently grab my jaw when I tried to look away.

I folded my arms over my chest and then looked at his eyes as he forced my chin up.

"We're gonna have one beautiful child together, my darling." He said, his voice calm and quiet.

"And what about the adoption process we've started?" I asked. "We we're going to adopt a child that needs a home and now we're not. I can't help but feel..."

I sighed.

"We don't have to end the process. We can put it on hold and come back to it if and when we decide to have another child."

I nodded slowly, thinking about it and then I nodded some more, offering him a smile.

"Can we just apparate home?" I asked. "I'm tired and I'm wearing heels and it sucks."

"Of course." Fred smiled and let go of my chin, grabbing my hand.

A few seconds later, we stood in front of the door to our flat, Fred turning the key in the door.

As we walked through the door, I pulled off my heels and let them fall to the floor.

"I'll brush my teeth and then I'm going to bed." I announced, making my way to the bathroom.

Though I didn't pick up a toothbrush. I slid out of my dress and then slid onto the toilet seat, sighing.

I shut my eyes and I sat like that until the door opened and Fred walked in.

"What're you doing?" He chuckled, walking to the sink to pick up his toothbrush.

"I've been sitting here for... I don't even know how long." I said, looking over at the cup that held our toothbrushes.

"Did you brush?" He asked softly, noticing that my toothbrush looked untouched.

"No."

With a small hum, Fred let go of his toothbrush and grabbed mine instead. After putting toothpaste on, and wetting it, he walked over to me, grabbing my jaw.

"It's okay. Let's get it over with and you can go to bed." He assured me, knowing an entire night of being out completely used up all of the energy I had.

Not that I had a lot of energy these days.

I opened my mouth and let Fred brush my teeth while I looked up at him.

This wasn't the first time he'd have to brush my teeth.

Sometimes at night, if we had been out a lot, I didn't have the energy to take care of myself, not even with someone as simple as brushing my teeth, so Fred did it for me when it got difficult.

I felt like a child and I felt stupid, but he always assured me it was okay and that he was more than happy to take care of me when I couldn't.

"There you go" Fred's voice was soft as he finished brushing my teeth.

I spat into the sink and flushed my mouth before leaning back on the toilet seat again. Fred put my toothbrush away before grabbing his own.

I watched him as he brushed his teeth. His hand held onto the side of the sink and I could see his muscles as well as the veins in his arm.

"I love you." I said, staring up at him.

He smiled weakly, his mouth full of toothpaste, and his cheeks turned a slight red which caused me to chuckle.

I stood up and hugged him from the back before turning and walking down the hallway.

Once in our bedroom, I crawled into bed, making sure not to disturb Aaron who slept on Fred's side of the bed.

Aaron lifted his head and looked at me and as I laid down, he got up, stretched and then walked closer to me. He purred as I ran my hand over his back, and then he laid down again, this time closer to me.

"Babe, you will never guess what I just did." Fred came laughing into the room, shutting the door behind him. Not fully. He made sure there was room for Aaron to walk out if he needed to eat in the middle of the night.

"What?" I asked while he got undressed.

"I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet." He said, and I raised my eyebrows at him before laughing.

"How did you manage that?"

With a shrug, Fred folded his trousers and placed them neatly on the dresser.

"Spilled toothbrush on the floor so I wiped it off with some toilet paper and threw the toilet paper in the toilet. Then I dropped my toothbrush and now I've thrown it out. I'll have to get a new one tomorrow."

He crawled into bed, sitting up with his legs crossed while he looked at me while I looked back up at him.

I was laying on my side, and Fred's body was turned towards me.

"You did great tonight." He smiled weakly. "I know it's taken all of your energy, being out all night surrounded by people, but you did great. I'm proud of you."

I smiled, hiding it with the duvet.

"Thank you." I whispered.

Hearing him say he was proud of me, made my entire stomach turn in a good way. It was all I wanted.

He leaned down and pressed a kiss to my temple.

"I love you too, baby."