Forty-seven

Fred did in fact not get back after just a moment, so with a groan, I rolled out of bed and found my silk robe, sliding it on.

I closed it around the waist and as I walked out of the bedroom, I ran a hand through my hair, trying to comb it out a bit.

I could hear Fred laugh in the kitchen, and when I showed up, Lee and Felix were here.

"You have to be fucking kidding me." I laughed, folding my arms over my chest, and Fred and Lee who had been speaking instantly shut up, all three of them turning to look at me. "What're you two doing here this early?"

"Well, it's Freddie's birthday." Lee said. He looked at me like he didn't get why I was upset.

"George's too."

"Oh, we went over there as well." Lee nodded.

"They didn't answer." Felix said. "Lee reckons they're boning."

"Yeah?" I asked. "Well, so were we until you interrupted."

Lee gasped and looked at Fred.

"Don't tell me you left your wife during sex so you could answer the door."

"It was kind of distracting to hear the doorbell while—"

"No details please." Felix interrupted and Fred raised his eyebrows at him, then rolled his eyes without Felix seeing it.

"I'm gonna go get dressed." I said, turning around before walking back into the room.

I let the door shut behind me and dropped the robe on the bed before finding my underwear. As I pulled on a pair of trousers, the door opened and Fred walked in, smiling apologetic at me.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise."

I sighed and tilted my head as I stared at him, and then I cracked a small smile.

"It's fine. It's your birthday and I'm not gonna kick our friends out. Not today."

Fred grinned and walked over to me. He slid an arm around my waist and kissed my temple.

"Friend." He corrected me. "I'll always hate Felix."

I rolled my eyes.

"Go keep them company while I change." I said, patting his chest. "And put on a shirt."

He leaned down again, ducking his face so he could kiss me.

Then he walked over to get changed and I laid down on the bed, groaning.

"Can you please be nice today?" I asked and watched my husband slide out of his sweatpants to put on something a little more nice for today. "Felix agreed to come along, didn't he? For your sake?"

"Oi, I never asked for him to come." Fred said as he pulled on a pair of jeans that were ripped by the knees. "Actually, I'd prefer it if he stayed away at all time."

I snorted at his answer and buried my face in the pillow.

"I know you don't like him but—"

"Have you forgotten the way he used to treat you?" Fred asked and turned towards me while I sat up on the bed. "He took a picture while you were on your fucking knees for me, naked."

"I know but—"

"He cheated on you, Kai. I've never known anybody else who became friends with their ex after the person cheated on them."

"He's been my best friend since we were born. Just fucking respect him."

"Just like you were with Martha, and see how that turned out. You are the only one in that friend group who turned out to be a great person." He said. "And I will not trust or respect Felix, because I don't trust him, and neither should you."

He turned away from me and found a t-shirt that he pulled over his head.

"He's grown." I said, looking at my hands. "Yes, he did horrible things, but he deserves a second chance. He's proven how sorry he is for everything."

Fred didn't respond. He pulled his hair out of the bun, brushed it and put it back into a bun before turning towards me.

"I will not forgive him for what he put you through. You might not remember but I certainly remember the look on your face after he took that picture of you. Or how upset you were then he sent another photograph to your mother so that she kicked you out."

I stood up again, looking at Fred as I folded my arms over my chest.

"It is not your place to forgive him or not forgive him." I said. "I've forgiven him for what he did so that's it. Today I want you to treat him like you'd treat any other person."

Taking a step closer to me, Fred looked down at me with a look I couldn't quite read.

"Why are you never even trying to understand where I'm coming from?" He asked quietly. "I always have to explain myself to you, even when I do things on behalf of you."

My body relaxed a little and I realised that I did in fact do that.

"Freddie..."

"And it's causing us to fight all the time." He added. "Which I hate. I just want to hug you and kiss you all the time and that's a little hard when we're fighting and we're mad at each other."

I sighed and reached up to cup either side of his face, pulling him down for a soft kiss.

"I love you so much, baby." I whispered.

"You are never on my side, Kai." He said. "And I need you to sometimes. I need you to just understand where I'm coming from."

"I do understand." I hurried to say. "And I am on your side. I don't want you to forgive him for his sake. I want you to forgive him so you can move on like I've done. Baby, being as angry as you are at him, is exhausting. I want you to be able to have fun when he's around instead of sulking."

He sighed and leaned his head back but I grabbed his face and made him look at me.

"I'm sorry that you feel like I'm not on your side." I said. "I never meant to make you feel like that."

Fred slid his arms around my back and leaned down to hide his face in the crook of my neck.

"You know you can always talk to me." I whispered, running a hand up and down his back.

"I know." He whispered before pulling back to look at me. "I'll go out and keep them company while you get dressed."

I nodded and leaned up to kiss him.

"Okay."

I watched him leave the room and shut the door behind him. Then I sighed, followed by a yawn that I suppressed with my hand.

I put on some deodorant before going through the wardrobe, finding a shirt. I put it on and brushed through my hair before finding my makeup.

I sat on the bed as I did my eyebrows, my eyeliner and put on mascara. The last thing I did was add some lipgloss and then I left the room, shutting the door behind me.

The guys were in the living room. Lee and Felix sat on the sofa and Fred sat in the armchair, staring angrily at Felix.

Nobody said a word.

"So... why are you here at eight in the morning?" I asked, pushing my hands into my pockets as I walked towards the armchair where Fred sat.

"Kai!" Lee grinned when he saw me. "Thank god you're here. You remember the plans I made for the twins birthday?"

"I do remember." I nodded. "I'm in on it, but I didn't realise it was happening this early."

"It's not." Felix said. "Lee woke me up quite early because he couldn't sleep anymore and he wanted to come wish them both happy birthday as the first thing."

"So yeah..." Lee grinned at Fred. "...happy birthday mate."

I sat down on the armrest of the chair where Fred sat, and he automatically slid his arm around my waist.

"What've you got planned?" Fred asked and looked up at me.

A smile spread across my face and I shrugged.

"It's up to Lee to tell you."

"Alright." Lee grinned. "We're going bowling!"