Seventy-nine

"Good morning." Theodore's breath was hot against my neck, his lips soft as he kissed my skin.

I didn't answer. My eyes were shut, but he knew I was awake.

My back was pressed against his chest. We were cuddling — him being the big spoon.

"I know you're awake." He whispered, a hoarse chuckle leaving his mouth.

"Good morning." I whispered, turning back to look at him. "Can we go outside today?"

Theodore studied my face, a faint smile placed on his lips. He brought a hand up to my face and brushed some of my messy morning hair away from my forehead.

"Not today." He said quietly, leaning down to kiss me while holding my chin.

Then he pulled back and looked at me for another moment. His smile grew a little, and then he got out of bed, walking to the wardrobe to get dressed.

This room in this new place was much bigger, and it wasn't underground.

It was a house without a basement, but it was just as secured as the other.

It was a house Kwan used sometimes. He didn't live here. No, he had a flat for that, but somehow he also had a house in Ireland, where Theodore and I stayed.

I stared out of the window for such a long time. It was a view over a field. We were surrounded by fields. There weren't people anywhere near the house. You'd have to walk for hours until you reached the neighbours.

It was way too isolated.

But the view was nice and each morning while Theodore got dressed, I would just stare out the window, lying in this exact position, curled up in bed.

Theodore was talking to me, but I wasn't listening.

He was pulling on a pair of black trousers, buttoning them and pulling a belt through the straps.

He didn't buckle it yet.

He pulled on a white dress-shirt and buttoned it, tucking it in, and then he buckled the belt.

"Kai?" He asked when I hadn't answered the question.

I hadn't heard his question.

"Yeah?" I asked, still staring out of the window.

"Kwan will be over with the ultrasound machine today." He told me. "I was thinking we could bake something before he arrives?"

Yes.

This was good.

I needed to agree, because I needed to convince not only Theodore, but also Kwan that I was in love with Theodore.

Kwan wanted me to be with him. He wanted me to be with one of the Larch brothers, and seeing as Theodore was the one in love with me, it made sense for it to be him.

So I had to trick everyone.

"I'd like that." I forced a tired smile, letting my eyes shut again.

"Yeah? What do you want to bake? I can go buy the ingredients while you get dressed."

He walked over and crouched down by my side of the bed, and I opened my eyes to look at him again.

"Chocolate chip cookies." I whispered, and Theodore smiled, moving his hand close to my face.

He brushed a strand of hair behind my ear, smiling at me as if I was the only one for him. He smiled at me in the same way Fred would smile at me.