Seventy-five

"Pregnancy..."

The stupid pregnancy test was positive, and Theodore had called Kwan into the basement to tell him.

I was curled up on the sofa in the living room area, watching my older brother look at the two lines on the pregnancy test.

"Interesting." Kwan muttered before he looked at me. "Congratulations, Kyung-Hu."

"Fuck off."

"You're unhappy." It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

Kwan put the pregnancy test on the sofa table before he pulled over a chair and sat across from me.

"Why're you unhappy? I thought you wanted a child."

"How would you know?" I asked, glaring at him.

He sighed and clasped his hands between his knees, looking at me with such an intense look.

"Why are you unhappy?" He asked again, and I let out a bitter laugh.

"I can't have children, Kwan." I said. "I keep miscarrying. I was supposed to take a morning-after-pill so this wouldn't happen, but Theodore grabbed me from my bathroom and here I am... pregnant and destined to go through yet another miscarriage."

"You can't be sure about that. Maybe this is the time that works out in your favour."

I laughed loudly.

"My favour? Yeah, so am I supposed to raise a child here? As a hostage?"

"You're not a hostage." He said. "I'm not asking for anything in return for you."

I shook my head.

"No. But you're keeping me here because you need me to help you take over the world." I said. "Are you starting with England? Then the rest of the world, or what?"

A small smile spread on his face.

"I'm gonna make our grandparents proud." He said in a whisper. "They've always wanted someone to do this. To make the world Korean."

"And you think you can be able to do that?" I laughed. "You're insane."

"Yeah, maybe I am, but can you blame me? Our mother was an abusive bitch. My dad is who knows where, probably dead. Your dad..."

"Do not speak about my dad!" I snapped, and he smirked in response, getting to his feet.

"Your dad is weak." He said.

"My dad took you in! Treated you like you were his own son!" I shouted. "He's always protected you against mum! He was always on your side!"

"Your dad... is weak." He repeated, and I frowned.

"Why are you talking about him in present tense?"  I asked. "He's been dead for eight years."

Kwan sighed loudly.

"I'm going to make sure you get the care you need throughout your pregnancy." He said. "You will raise the child alongside Theodore."

"What? No!"

"He's always been better for you than Fred." He told me. "We've known the Larch family since forever. You were always supposed to end up with one of them. Since Felix turned out to be gay, it'll have to be Theodore. He'll raise the child as if it's his own."

"You can fuck off, and so can Theodore and Gideon and Felix. You can all fuck off and go to hell!" I screamed at him.

I stood up.

"Why are you doing this, Kwan?!" I cried. "I trusted you. I was grieving you and I— you were supposed to be my brother. I looked up to you my entire life. I defended you against everyone and now you're like this and I— oh god."

I pressed the back of my hand to my mouth, the tears falling down my cheeks, faster than ever.

"I want to go home." I cried. "I want to go back to my husband, and our friends. I want to go back to my life."

"I know you do." He nodded, bringing a hand up to push a lock of hair behind my ear. "But you are here, not only because I need your help, but also because I've missed you."

"Missed me?"

"You're my little sister." He said quietly. "You've always been my favourite sibling, Kyung-Hu. You have no idea how much it hurt to have to leave you behind at home. To leave you with mum of all people."

I moved my hands up to my face, rubbing my eyes, and then I felt Kwan pull me against him, pulling me into his embrace.

For whatever reason, I let him.

I slid my arms around his back and I broke into tears again, burying my face in his chest.

I hadn't hugged my brother in so long. I hadn't been comforted by him in years, and while he was the reason I was here, I had missed him so much.

He was alive, and he was here, and I was angry at him but I was also relieved for some reason.

I cried and I cried and I cried, but then I felt something sharp sting in my neck and I realised it was a needle.

I gasped, and I pulled my head back and looked up at my brother while feeling some kind of liquid being pushed into my bloodstream.

"What—"

I was already growing tired. Everything was growing foggy, and suddenly I had a hard time keeping my eyes open.

"It's okay." He said in a whisper, stroking a hand over my hair. "You'll be okay."

"Kwan—" I choked on my own words, doing my best to keep my eyes open.

"Don't fight it." He told me softly. "Close your eyes. Go to sleep. Everything is okay."

I tried to say something, but whatever drug he forced into my blood, was slowly taking over and it got harder and harder to fight.

Though eventually, my body went limp in his arms and my eyes shut before darkness consumed me.

When I woke up again, I was in bed.

I gasped as I remembered what happened, and I sat up quickly, pressing a hand to my neck where he had stabbed me with the needle.

What the fuck.

"Good morning." A voice spoke, and I looked up to see Theodore walk in with a tray of breakfast.

I scrambled backwards until my back hit the headboard. I kicked the covers off of me, and I stared at him as he walked around the bed and sat on the edge, placing the tray between us.

"You must be hungry. You've been asleep for twenty-nine hours." He said. "But you sure needed it. Kwan did that to help you, you know? Don't look like that."

He gestured towards my face.

"You needed the rest, Kai."

Then he gestured towards the breakfast, and I couldn't deny the fact that I was hungry.

"He stabbed me in the neck with a needle."

"To get you to sleep, because you're too fucking stubborn to actually sleep at night." He told me. "You've been here five weeks and you act like a stubborn little child!"

Five weeks...

Christmas and New Years has passed.

Our ten year anniversary has passed.

I stared at the food without saying a word, without moving an inch.

And then I cried.