Twenty-two

When I reached Carter and Martha's flat, I knocked on the door, then pushed my hands into the pockets of my hoodie, waiting for one of them to open the door.

I stared at the dark wooden door, listening to any sort of movement on the other side, but then a door down the hallway opened and I flinched.

Though it was just a mum and her toddler, making their way down the hallway.

The woman gave me a warm smile that I repaid.

"Not to meddle or anything, but I think Carter is down at the gym right now." She told me when she reached me, and I raised my eyebrows.

"You know Carter?"

"Oh, yeah he's a great neighbour. I just moved in with my son here and both he and Martha have been lovely at helping me with some things in my flat." She told me. "How do you know them?"

I smiled. "I'm his sister. I just need to speak to him, but you said he was down in the gym?"

The woman nodded.

"He usually works out during this hour on Sundays." She smiled and passed me. "Have a nice day."

I repaid the smile once again.

"You too."

I waited until she got on the elevator, and then I made my way down the hallway, taking the stairs to the lobby.

I passed the room, pushing open the door to the gym and I instantly located Carter who was using the treadmill, listening to music in his headphones.

I walked over, leaning against the treadmill and then he noticed me. He pulled the headphones off his head and let them hang around his neck.

"What's up?" He asked, a little out of breath.

"I need to talk to you."

He narrowed his eyes at me for a minute but I raised my eyebrows to tell him I was serious.

He slowed down the treadmill until he stood still, then he leaned on it, folded his hands and looked down at me.

"What's up?" He asked, but this time he showed that he cared and that just made this so much harder.

"Alone. Can we go upstairs?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Yeah, sure. I'll just shower down here." He said and pushed into his pocket, pulling out his key. "Here. Wait for me upstairs. I'll just be ten minutes."

I nodded and then left the gym, taking the stairs up to his flat again. I let myself in, shutting the door behind me and threw the keys on the counter.

I looked around the flat. It didn't seem like Martha was here and Myeong wasn't here either so he was probably with her.

My eyes landed on a door that was half open and I walked over, peeping inside.

It was the nursery, and it was almost finished. Martha had been talking so much about the nursery, excited about finishing it and making it their kids own.

The room next to the nursery, was the room that Myeong had been given.

Carter and Martha had been given temporary custody until the hearing in a couple of weeks. Then it would be determined if they'd have permanent custody.

As I stated into Myeong's room, the front door opened and I realised I had been standing there for quite a while.

I turned and looked at Carter as he closed the door behind himself, dropping his bag to the floor.

"Alright, what's going on, Kai?" He asked. "Did you and Fred fight? If you need a place to stay, you're more than welcome to—"

I shook my head and he shut up. He took a few steps towards me, folding his arms over his chest.