Sixty-three

I woke up as someone screamed.

I turned over and looked towards the open bedroom door as I recognised the scream to be Fred's.

"Jesus! What are you doing in my flat?!" Fred shouted, and I forced myself out of bed, leaving the bedroom.

"Fred, I told you he came here last night." I said as I rubbed my hand over my face but then my eyes landed on Fred and I froze.

He was butt naked, covering his dick and his balls with his hands while staring at George who had just woken up on the sofa.

"Babe, why the fuck are you naked?" I asked, causing him to look at me.

"Why is George here?!"

"I told you he came over after he and Angie had a fight."

"Well, I don't remember that!"

I sighed.

"I'm going back to bed." I muttered, turning away to walk back into the bedroom.

I threw myself on the bed and shut my eyes as I hugged the pillow to my face.

Fred followed me and shut the door behind me. I looked at him and he let his hands drop because he didn't have to hide around me.

"George just saw everything."

"So? You're identical. Probably down there too." I yawned as Fred pulled on a pair of boxer shorts.

Then he crawled onto the bed and straddled my back. He leaned down and moved hair from my neck so he could kiss me there.

"How're you feeling today?" He asked, kissing me again, and then again and again.

"I'm fine."

"Okay." He whispered. "And the truth?"

I groaned into the pillow, shaking my head while Fred ran his fingers into my hair and moved it all away, exposing the left side of my face.

He leaned down and kissed just below my ear, then above it, and then he kissed the corner of my mouth.

"Hey." He whispered, trying to catch my attention. "Talk to me."

I sighed and rolled onto my back, lying underneath him. He had a hand on either side of my head, and I noticed the way he looked at me.

It was the same way he always looked at me.

He was looking at me like I was the most important person in his life. He was looking at me like he never wanted to look at anyone else.

"I think it's unfair." I said in a whisper, trying not to cry. "Why don't we deserve a baby?"

"We do deserve a baby." He said, pressing a kiss to my forehead before looking at me again.

"Then why hasn't it happened? Why do I miscarry?"

Fred didn't know how to answer that, so he didn't. He lifted one hand and used it to brush some ear behind my ear.

"I think it's unfair that they get to have one, and another one on the way." I said, gesturing towards the door so he knew who I talked about. "And that makes me feel like a horrible person, because them being able to have children, has nothing to do with us being unable."

"That doesn't make you a horrible person, Kyung-Hu." He said quietly. "It makes you human."

I shut my eyes and Fred wiped away the one tear that escaped through my lashes.

"But I don't understand how I've gotten pregnant so many times with bad quality eggs." I said. "Shouldn't the quality affect the conceiving as well?"

"I don't know, baby. Maybe they are all capable of being impregnated while only the strongest survive." He said. "Do you want to try IVF that Angie talked about?"

I nodded.

"But not now." I whispered, running a hand to the nape of his neck. "Not for a while."

"Okay." He pressed another kiss to my forehead before dropping next to me. He laid on his side and hooked an arm over my stomach.

He kissed my shoulder.

"I'm gonna wear a pair of trousers, and then I'll make breakfast for the three of us, and feed Aaron." He said before getting off the bed. "I'm gonna give you some time to get dressed, yeah?"

I nodded and thanked him quietly before he left the room, shutting the door behind him.

It took me a while to get up, but I did and I pulled my shit together.

Then I got dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a simple white t-shirt. I brushed my hair and let it fall around my shoulders, and then I walked out and joined Fred and George in the kitchen.

"I screwed up. I realise that." George told Fred. "But I didn't mean it! I don't want children with anyone but Angie. I just— I want a big family, you know? I want more kids."

I scoffed, earning the attention of them both. I stared at George and for some reason, I felt angry with what he said.

"Good morning." George offered me a smile but I didn't repay it, so he straightened up. "Something wrong?"

I shrugged, then shook my head, because I didn't want to lash out and take my anger out on him.

I walked over and took a seat at the dining table while George continued his conversation with Fred.

"We even agreed to it before we married. We both wanted a big family." He said. "We agreed on five children, and now she wants to stop with this one. What if it's a girl and Arthur wants a brother? And then the girl might want a sister?"

"She's allowed to change her mind, George." Fred said, cutting fruit as he was making fruit salad for breakfast.

"Of course she is. I would never suggest otherwise. I love Angie. I love her with all my being, but I just... my biggest dream has always been to have a big family. It was fun growing up, but with my kids, I would give them all an equal amount of attention."

I dug my nails into my palm, biting my lip to try and keep my mouth shut.

"I want three more after this one—"

"Well that isn't up to you." I snapped, earning their attention again, and now I couldn't keep it back. "It's her body, not yours that has to go through the trauma of pregnancy."

"What? I wasn't saying—"

"And you should be grateful!" I raised my voice, and Fred pushed himself away from the counter, watching me. "You have a son and you have a child on the way. You are a parent. You get to watch them grow up and you get to raise them. Meanwhile there are some people who can't have children, so stop complaining, because you are fucking lucky!"

George realised what this was about, and so did Fred. George sighed as if he regretted complaining about not getting to have five kids, and Fred just looked at me with concern.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, running my hands over my face as I stood up. "I don't know why I said that. I'm sorry."

I walked down the hallway to the bathroom and locked myself in there before I broke into tears.

I stepped into the tub and pulled the curtain shot before sliding down to sit, pulling my knees up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around them, and then I just let myself cry.

I could hear Fred and George talking in the kitchen. Their voices were slightly raised and I knew they were arguing.

I didn't want to hear it so I turned on the water in the tub, and blocked the drain. I lied down and let the water surround me while I stared up at the ceiling.

One hand was on my stomach, and my thoughts were racing.

One thought was permanent.

You are the reason Fred won't be a father.

And then I shut my eyes as the water rose above my ears, and then above my face, completely surrounding me.