The Day That Changed Everything

"They say when you spread the things you like with your pheromones, you start to like them even more."

A phrase imprinted in the back of Layle's mind, always remembers it but never fully understood till many years passed.

————

The sun rose up till it reached the middle of the sky declaring it's noon, but Layle was still in his bed, pretty much asleep.

The phone rang besides him and since he was out of the real world in dreamland for more than twelve hours, the sound of his phone ringing woke him up, too tired from sleeping to move his body, he only moved his hand to reach the phone. He was about to decline until he remembered something.

"Hello?!"

He was supposed to meet with Keith this day, not knowing what time it is, since the curtains blocking the lights from outside, Layle snapped to sit on the bed and answered his phone.

It was Keith on the other end, he didn't really want to see or talk to his friend this day, but he had to, he promised him.

"You piece of shit, I know that you're still in bed." Keith shouted in his phone, "I told you to help me pick a present for May, her birthday party is in the fucking evening."

'Oh god,' he really hated May, they used to be friends but since she became keith's girlfriend he started to resent her.

"I'll be on your doorstep in five minutes."

Layle replied and threw his phone, he felt guilty for promising his friend a week ago to go with him and find a special present for May, then delaying it till her birthday, he sure hated her and didn't even plan to go to her birthday party, but he knew his beta friend was falling for her like a rock in a lake.

His friend.. what a word to address Kieth by he thought. This word wasn't really the right word to express what Layle felt for Keith, but no matter the feelings he had, he wanted to hide them no matter what.

As he stood to open the curtainn, he felt a little dizzy and fell back to the bed,

"Ah, these fucking annoying pheromones."

He didn't notice until he regained his full consciousness, that his room reeked with his own pheromones, his alpha pheromones. Him masturbating last night sure made him release pheromones and with the windows closed, that what made the magic last.

Now he needs to take a shower before he goes out to wash out the scent, Keith should wait for an extra five minutes. Well nothing can help that, he didn't want to smell like a pervert after all, being an alpha is annoying sometimes, being an alpha is his happiness and his misery.

Layle got out of the shower and went to wear his clothes, then he stood in the the middle of his room and went back to the shower again, as if he forgot something there.

He stood facing the mirror putting his hands on his waist and stared at his face in the mirror. His reflection stared back.

His golden eyes looked as if light went off inside of them, He clinched his teeth as if chewing something to contain a sudden burst of anger he had for a stupid reason.

He looked as if hurt puppy, even though he is just like the typical alpha who looked manly, with sharp eyes nose and jaw, but in this moment he looked like a soft lost boy.

"Don't look this weak, please"

He tried to pull himself together. Brushing his golden short hair with his fingers, closing his eyes and saying to himself

"It's just like any other normal day. Don't be emotional over little stuff."

Wearing a white shirt and jeans, he set himself off.

Keith's house was in the same street, it was actually next to his house, so he walked few steps before he arrived to his destination.

Sending a text to Keith informing him that he's waiting for him outside, putting his headphones on, and listening to music, waiting.

Closing his eyes he started to think about the whole situation, why everything turned to be like this, maybe if he got himself a girlfriend too..

A tap on his shoulder cut his line of thought as Keith startled him. Layle still can't notice betas when they come, due their lack of pheromones, you sometimes can't notice them, they become kind of invisible.

So Layle brushed his hand on his friend shirt. This way he could put his pheromones on him.

Keith was wearing a white shirt with black jeans, 'a white shirt' Layle thought, it's like they are matching clothes. Keith stood next to him, and they were both at the same hight, both stood 5.8, but people could still tell who is the alpha and who is the beta.

"Let's go."

They went to the local mall, straight to a jewelry shop, since Layle suggested that girls like jewelry.

In an attempt to shift Keith's attention from the rings he was checking, he pointed at a little golden heart-shaped necklace, not that he cared about what May would like but, anything but rings, they seemed more sensational than any other thing.

He stood aside watching how Keith's eyes sparkles looking at the gold, he imagined that the gift was not for May, he also imagined that Kieth is happy for being with him and suddenly the ache in his heart stopped.

He didn't want anything more than being close to Keith and be able to imagine, everything is fine as long as Keith is in his line of sight.

"You should've brought Kath instead, she would be able to choose a good one."

"One, I didn't know I was going to buy a necklace until you suggested. Second, my sister hates her," Keith replied.

kath is Keith's twin sister, also a beta.

'Ouch, she really does' Layle thought, 'it would be better if she didn't hate me as well.'

When Keith decided on the necklace after five minutes of staring at it, telling the employee that he's going to take it, Layle immediately regretted what he did.

And the fact it was a real gold, an expensive golden necklace, that he didn't even know from where Keith had the money to buy added to the injury.

'Well whatever' he thought, 'whatever that makes him happy'.

They went back to their homes, Layle decided to stay at home and be sad alone, while Keith went to his house to change his clothes and then go to the party.

Keith didn't press on Layle to come along, even though May was supposed to be a friend of him and a mate at school and even though many of his friends would come, he didn't press on him to come, he knew that Layle hated his girlfriend for some reason.

It only took few hours for Layle's mood to worsen so much and starting to cuss at May. His appetite increased as it always does when he feels depressed, so all he did is order some food to eat alone in his room and ignore his mother's calling for dinner.

Only few hours had passed, it was only nine in the evening, when Keith called Layle, in a crying voice that made Layle alarmed.

"What happened?"

[She ah.. she broke up with me.]

A smile made its way on Layle's mouth that didn't match his frowning eyebrows, he was in denial for a fracture of a second before he laughed.

Ignoring Keith's cries, the only thing he could feel at that moment was happiness.