Confession

A month and a half passed since the murder. It left people puzzled and afraid for a while but soon they forgot. Students were busy with their studies more than gossip. And life moved on with them.

But life didn't move on with Keith. The weather didn't get warmer. His body still longed for the warmth of Thailand. His mind longed for the peacefulness of his childhood.

But he still had to take steps forward like everyone else. It took his body a while to recover. But after a month he felt like a new person without the infection.

In a snowy afternoon. He took a taxi to the city center after classes. Heading to a cafe to meet an old friend, an ex lover.

He wondered the whole time on his way why would his ex reach for him. Why would she ask to meet him. But these questions he asked himself where not the real reason for why he accepted to meet.

By the time he entered the cafe all the thoughts disappeared once he found her. She sat quietly not bothered by her surroundings focusing on the phone in her hand.

Just like the old days when they had a date and she arrives first. Distracting herself till he comes.

She didn't even notice him till he sat in front of her.

"Keith!" She let a sigh. "It's been a long time."

Her smile, her rosy cheeks and lips. Her round face and brown eyes. Even her short brunette hair. 'She didn't change a bit' he thought.

He didn't say anything. Just sat there looking at her and she stared back.

"Coffee?"

"No." He said lighting a cigarette.

"You still smoke!"

"Old habits don't die fast."

He took a breath then spoke again.

"I don't have time. I need to go back before night."

"Why you act like it's bothering you to see me? I just wanted to talk. For the old times sake!"

She was truly the same. Get hurt with simple words she thinks they hold more meaning to them. But he wasn't bothered at all by seeing her. In fact he didn't even care.

"You accepted seeing me. Which means you still remember the old days. Don't act all high and cruel."

"I came because I believe you owe me an explanation a good and real one."

He replied. He didn't care about the old days he spent with her. Not anymore. It was just like any teenage love they get passed.

"You care that much?" She asked? Her heart shrank thinking of the day they broke up.

"Not really. Not about you. I just want to know the reason. Cause it was the beginning of my downfall."

His voice was dry but held a kind of sadness others would usually express through pheromones.

He gets sad easily thinking about that day. After all, he got together with Layle after breaking up with her.

"Did you know I had a crush on Layle?"

She started asking. He didn't respond. Waiting for her to get to the point.

"Well.. I knew he liked you too. But by that time you became my boyfriend and I thought it's over for him. I won you and he can get over it."

"What does that has to do with anything?"

She laughed. A loud laugh that caught the attention of everyone around.