Regret

Layle had it rough that day, the meds he took made him sick, and every time he threw up, his sister made him take a replacing dose.

After the night with Keith, he stayed awake till morning, he thought about texting Keith, he kept his phone in his hand writing a text and then deleting it, until eventually, sleeping took over him.

When he wook up only few hours later, he heard a noise, to find out his sister Lily in his house, fixing some for breakfast. He sat there waiting for her to hand him something to eat, and she did.

"You had a good night sleep?" She started.

"Your belly is getting bigger." He noticed.

"Well, you should've noticed a while ago, I'm delivering in few weeks."

"Alpha or beta?"

A sensitive question for a pregnant woman, who wants to please her alpha family.

"Well it's a boy, that's what we are sure of, me and Matt are happy with whatever."

Lies he thought.

She slid a pill on the table, that what caused the endless cycle of pain.

"I don't need this pill, didn't you read the side effects? Nausea for example?"

"You need them to control your pheromones, so you won't suffocate us at dinner with the Harts."

"I'm having dinner there?"

He wasn't suppose to be surprised, but after what he and Keith did the other night.. he wasn't sure it's a good idea, but he was excited, he wanted to push everything further.

He was generally happy, never in his deepest thought such a scenario could happen.

Being an alpha actually paid off, instead of driving them apart.

He took the pills one after another, this day he didn't need his pheromones, so he could have a proper conversation with Keith he decided that.

His sister stayed few hours, until her husband called, she then went to the harts, leaving Layle alone to have a shower before joining them.

When he went to their house, Keith's mother was in the kitchen preparing dinner, Lily in Matt's room with him, and Kath in the living room.

He sat next to Kath on the sofa, and she gave him that annoyed look, but he didn't mind even tried to have a little chat.

"Sooo.. how is school?"

Now she has to talk with him too? She sighed.

"It's wful, I miss my old school."

She responded! That's a good thing he thought.

"What's in your old school our school don't have?"

"Betas mostly school, I miss the old odors."

"Odors?"

"Yes, the dust smell, the chalks, the smell of new school bags and new books."

Layle was impressed that she said more words to him this time, than all the other years combined.
"But I believe our students have new bags and books." He need to keep the conversation floating.

She sighed again.

"The pheromones of omegas in my class block everything."

She felt like she have to explain a bit more.

"You don't understand Layle, I know it's a normal thing and everybody's ignoring everything they can't feel or understand, but I can't."

But those few normal words of an explanation were hard for her to say.

Layle could notice the tears gathering in her eyes and he was genuinely interested.

"You talk. I listen."

She looked at him and smiled, wiped her eyes, before the tears fall.

"But you can't understand, it's suffocating, like I'm allergic to pheromones, they suffocate me."

Layle didn't know what to say, she was right, he couldn't understand her, so he told her that he is "sorry" for what she is going through the only thing he could do.

The next thing happened, was Keith dashing to his room. His mother called his name, and Kath followed him.

He stayed perfectly there, he was nervous, but then he heard The noise coming from up stairs, so he gathered his courage and went there to check.

"Open the door Keith."

He waited few minutes, till Keith opened the door.

He watched Keith walking back and sitting on his bed, he looked tired, barley focusing, his face looked like it didn't have enough sleep, well he didn't get any at all.

Layle closed the door behind him, and walked towards Keith. He sat down on the floor, his shoulders square to Keith in front of him. He reached his hand and and cupped Keith's cheek.

"You look tired."

"I am so tired. I'm going to sleep."

When Layle sensed something, he moved his hand away.

"What's oing on with you?"

"Nothing" Keith barley smiled. "I'm just tired."

"Then I'll leave you."

Layle got up and walked away, tears gathered in his eyes, he walked so fast to the bathroom to hide.

Keith didn't say anything harmful, neither acted hustle, but the coldness of his behavior made Layle feel unwanted, like he was doing something wrong, he regretted going to his room and acting intimate by touching his cheek.

He washed his face and got out, to see Keith's mother dragging Keith down the stairs by his ear. He followed them to see the table is ready. Everyone sitting and waiting for him. The only empty chair was next to Keith. So he took it.

"Everything alright?" He whispered.

"Yes, why wouldn't anything be not right?" Keith whispered back.

"I don't know maybe because of what happened last night?"

Keith suddenly got angry and threw the fork on the table, he leaned closer to Layle.

"Nothing happened! Don't draw attention!"

Even though he was the one drawing attention.

Layle's head turned into oven. He could feel heat escaping through his ears. He got angry. He was mad. If it wasn't for everyone looking at them, when they noticed they were whispering. Layle could swear he would be smacking Keith's bitchy face to the ground.

"Control your pheromones."

Matt's voice came as a command.

But he couldn't figure how to control or hold anything in.

He knew he didn't have the luxury to be mad or sad, or making Keith feel bad, but he was disappointed, extremely disappointed.

He didn't say a word, tried to finish his dish but couldn't. He got up suddenly and left without a word.

Keith didn't blink an eye. He simply said "I don't know." To anyone asked him what is the thing Layle is acting up about.