Friends

The first time Layle thought that he had a chance, was when he found out that Keith had a crush on a male omega and asked him out.

Betas are different. Their emotions weren't controlled by pheromones, most of them only liked the opposite sex whatever the opposite sub gender was, a beta, an omega or even an alpha, since they can't feel much pheromones to know what the sub gender was, if you're a male beta people would assume that you like girls only, well not only that when it comes to Keith, since he seemed to be attracted to both genders.

That was the first time Layle had his hopes up, until Keith decided to not be in a relationship with an omega or an alpha after he broke up with his omega boyfriend, they didn't last for more than two weeks but it seems that "Keith went back to his senses." As what one of their friends Zain had told him.

"I don't want to get involved with omegas or alphas and my parents would kill me if they found out I date boys too."

That what Keith had told Layle, so even before Layle can do anything to change Keith's mind, Keith found for himself a beta girlfriend, The girl May who used to be Layle's friend.

Layle learned to hide many things from everyone including his feelings, even though he felt like a coward, he thought that there is nothing he could do, going through all circumstances, him being the next alpha in the family and his friend wanting to have a normal life.

But now it seems as if this is his last chance. He really had his hope high this time.

That night was cold, it was one of these September nights, that wasn't supposed to be that cold, but it was the end of the ninth month, so it's getting chiller.

Layle got out of his house without even wearing a jacket, the lights upove the houses' doors didn't do much of enlightening the street, he stood next to his house looking around to find Keith until he spotted him.

Keith was leaning on a crack in the wall that separate both of their houses. Under these dim lights Layle could barely see Keith's face, he felt as if his heart has got broken again when he saw how quiet Keith was, immediately regretted how happy he felt just earlier.

He went to Keith and silently hugged him as Keith hugged back, he felt Keith's tears falling on his shoulder and wetting the shirt.

Now Layle has another reason to hate May even more.

In the kids park that was in their area, they sat on the ground, the lights even dimmer, if it wasn't for the car lights that lightened their way from time to time they wouldn't be able to reach the spot they sat on.

"What happened?" Layle asked.

"She asked to break up and remain friends", Keith answered, "but that I am not really ready for, yet." He added.

Keith took a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket, took a lighter out too, and took one of the cigarettes out to smoke, he was about to pass a cigarette to Layle, when he noticed Layle was shivering under his shirt. "Is it really that cold, Layle?" He asked.

"Not really"

His answer didn't stop Keith from taking off his jacket and placing it on Layle's shoulders, putting a cigarette between Layle's lips and lighting it up for him.

"The cigarette should warm you up."

Layle was a social smoker, didn't like the taste and didn't want to harm his body, but since all the boys in their group of friends smoked, he figured he'd just do the same.

He took the cigarette out of his mouth and took a look at Keith's direction when he noticed that Keith was fixing his gaze on him, Keith's brown eyes appeared black under the dim lights matching his hair color.

"What?" Layle asked with a smile on his lips that he tried to hide.

"You know, I don't see you often smoke thses harmful shit of cigarettes, not even once you inhaled the somke."

"So you do know that they are harmful."

Layle replied and Keith just laughed at that.

They took a long five minutes to smoke the cigarettes in silence, and when Keith finished his cigarette he lighted another one.

"She said that we don't have a future together." He started, "it's not like I didn't know, I knew she was aiming to study aboard next year," he took another breath of smoke and exalted, "but I didn't think that everything would end before we graduate. Now things might get awkward at school."

"Well you didn't really look as a good couple together anyway."

Layle said amusingly, trying to lighten the mood.

"Really? I never noticed. Do you even think I could look good with anyone, anyway?"

Keith asked laughing.

"Well maybe with me," Layle said to himself but it seems that he said thses words louder than he should, he immediately laughed as if he was joking, hoping that Keith didn't hear.

"Maybe."

At that moment Layle froze looking at Keith, he felt as if Keith's eyes were seeing through his eyes right into his soul, he wanted to say something, but Keith cut the first word coming out of his mouth.

"But you're an alpha and I don't want to be in a relationship where I feel like I'm in the shadows, due to my lack of sensing pheromones."

At that Layle kept his mouth shut, unable to say a word and then Keith even continued.

"Your father would probably kick my family out of the house if we become a thing, our siblings were a special case you know."

Layle was stunned, wondering if Keith knew about how he felt for him, and wanted to reject him even before he confesses, or he was he just throwing words randomly.

"We should head back, it's getting colder."

Keith said after minutes of silence, the atmosphere got really thick around them, Keith couldn't help but notice, "and please keep your suffocating pheromones to yourself."

Layle got back to his senses and apologized, now Keith would definitely think that something isn't right.

"My mom told me to ask you to have dinner with us tomorrow."

"Sure."

They head back to their houses. Layle knew that Keith was overreacting to his breakup since it wasn't that bad, and he was expecting it, so Layle believed that Keith is going to be fine if left alone, but he didn't really knew how he felt himself, maybe just confused.

When he made sure that Keith entered his house and closed the door behind, he was about to go into his home then noticed that he was still wearing Keith's jacket.

As he was about to take it off he felt that there is something inside the jacket's pocket, he reached with his hand into the pocket and pulled what was inside, which was the necklace.

Keith didn't give it to May, at that Layle smiled.

Author note//
Excuse my English since it's not my first language, I'm not even sure if I'm making a lot of grammar mistakes or not..
Anyway Keith noticed the pheromones that Layle released, betas do sense pheromones but on a lower level.