Chapter 3: Cold Shoulder

You sit next to Draco in Positions class, and this particular class session does not go very well for you...

~~~

The weekend ended way too quickly for your liking, and Monday morning found you bright and early—and in Potions class at Draco's table.

You'd been his partner all year, so Potions class was always miserable, but you hated having to be in such close proximity with him. He was always such a prick to you, and today wasn't any better.

"Y/N, just so you know, the book says counterclockwise, so if I see you stir it clockwise I'll clock you in the head."

"Do it then, pussy," you muttered under your breath.

Snape was still walking around the room, watching as the other students brewed their memory-enhancing potions. "Remember, students," he drawled, "eighteen stirs precisely counterclockwise. Then add the crushed bitterroot. If you don't stir it enough it will turn black and likely ruin your cauldron."

You were grateful, at least, that you didn't share a cauldron with Draco. Which meant that when he inevitably ruined his cauldron, it wouldn't be on your pocket to eradicate the issue.

"Y/N, is it coming along?" Snape asked lowly, coming around to watch your stirring process.

"Yes, sir," you said quickly, pulling the spoon out of the cauldron as you watched the blue mixture continue to swirl. You ground the bitterroot up in the bowl you had brought to the table, sprinkling it in bit by bit and watching as it began to sparkle.

Snape nodded approvingly—or at least, what you assumed was approvingly—and walked over to Draco.

You hadn't looked at him in a few moments, but the joy you felt at seeing the black smudge oozing out of his cauldron was inexplicable.

"Ten points from Slytherin, Malfoy," Snape said angrily, rushing the cauldron to the drain on the other side of the room. "I specifically said eighteen stirs precisely."

You snickered a bit as you waved your wand over your own potion, and Draco shoved you harshly in response. You fell hard, and you felt your shoulder pop as you did so.

You cried out in pain, tears springing to your eyes as you sat up.

"Y/N! Whatever is the matter?" Snape said, rushing back to you.

"I—" you started, looking up at Draco. He still looked angry, but you saw the fear flash through his eyes. He wasn't even good enough to hide that.

"Spit it out, child," Snape snapped, pulling you up. You yelped again, your shoulder searing in pain. Snape recoiled a bit, but his hand didn't leave your arm. "I-I fell, sir," you said meekly. "It was an accident, my robe caught on my foot and I fell."

Snape took one look at your arm and pointed to the door. "Nurse's office," he said lowly. "That looks dislocated."

You felt queasy at the thought.

"Class, continue with the potion recipe, I'll return after I escort Miss Everglade to the nurse's office."

You were ushered in and left pretty quickly, and only started crying when Madam Pomfrey came over to assess you.

"Darling, it's just dislocated," she said softly, before popping it back into place unexpectedly.

You let out a cry of pain and shock, but before you could react further, she cast a healing charm on your shoulder and the pain disappeared.

"Make sure it doesn't swell up again," she said kindly. "If it does, you'll need to come back. Maybe stay out of Quidditch practice for the next few days, you still need to rest it. I'll let your captain know."