Chapter 62: Bloodlust

The battle of Hogwarts meets its peak.

~~~

Sobs racked through you, causing your chest to heave uncontrollably. You could barely even breathe in between the cries that clogged your throat. You couldn't process what you had just seen, and yet you already had to push past it and return to the fight.

Draco tried to calm you down, and to his credit, it was working. But you couldn't stay in that room forever, no matter how badly you wanted to.

"Come on, y/n," he coaxed gently. "We have to get out of here. They'll find us. We can't hide forever."

You knew he was right. But you didn't want to admit that. So you clung to his robes for just a few more moments, trying to drink in his presence as much as you could. He let you, and you were grateful for it. You knew he was also cherishing what little time he had left with you. He didn't want to leave, either, but it was essentially his duty to fight in this war. It was his duty, just as much as it was yours.

Neither of you had ever had a choice. And you wanted to scream at the fates that had let this happen, at the cards that had been lain for the two of you ever since your births.

The two of you had an expiration date, and you knew that that time was fast approaching.

But even if the stars and moon collided, you'd hold onto him for as long as you could.

Time slowed down as you and Draco exited the Slytherin Common Room once again. Time was funny that way, how when all you wanted to do was be finished with what was at hand, the clock seemed to stop moving forward.

Your heart ached with every beat that pulsated in your veins. All you could see in your mind's eye was Juniper falling to the ground, dead. Over and over and over again. And Bellatrix had killed her.

Bellatrix had killed her.

You felt your entire body fill with rage as that thought began to repeat itself in your mind, a broken record replaying that sentence inside your head as white-hot fire zipped through your veins. You felt like your blood had turned to gasoline and you had just swallowed a match.

Tears still streamed down your face as you raced up the stairs, your fury becoming more animalistic as you ascended to the main floor of the castle.

You wondered if Draco could sense your anger, and as if he'd read your mind, his mouth opened immediately.

"Don't do what I know you want to do, y/n," he said lowly. You weren't entirely sure how you heard his voice over the cacophony that was occurring inside the Great Hall, but you sent him a side-eye glance so he'd know you heard him.

"Y/N, I'm serious," he continued, gripping your wrist in his ringed hand. "It isn't worth it."

"This is what you would do!" you cried, your wand gripped tightly in your shaking hand, the one that Draco didn't currently have tightly grasped in his own. "She killed Juniper, Draco! Juniper died for nothing!"

"No she didn't, y/n," the white-haired boy responded, shaking his head slowly. "Bellatrix wanted to kill me. Juniper just—shoved me out of the way."

You couldn't believe how calm Draco was acting. You'd just watched your best friend die and he didn't want to even Cruciate the witch who held the smoking gun.

Your icy glare met with Draco's cool grey eyes, and he remained unmoving, his face a blank slate. You wondered if he knew what you were thinking, if he even cared about the tears he was watching slip down your face.