Chapter 10: "We aren't Friends"

The Quidditch game comes and goes, but Draco is mad at you. You're not really sure why...

~~~

Saturday dawned far too early for you. You yawned as you crawled out of bed, wishing you had Vitamix Potion on you. You felt like you weighed about three thousand pounds as you dragged yourself around to pull your Quidditch uniform on.

You grabbed a quick breakfast and made it out onto the field with barely any time to spare, though you did, at least, feel a little more awake. You subconsciously searched the team for Draco, spotting the boy on the other end of the lineup, his broom in hand. Even from a distance, you could see the bags under the Slytherin Prince's eyes, and you felt a tug of worry in your gut for him as he stood in line listening to Arlie's pre-game pep talk.

"Your aim has improved, and your teamwork has taken great strides," he called as he paced in front of your team. "I want to see that put into practice on the field! Am I understood?"

"Yes, Captain!" Arlie only wanted to hear "Yes, Captain" on game days. Every other day of the week, if you called him anything other than Arlie, he'd bench you for the rest of practice.

"Alright, boys and girls, on your brooms!"

You happily obliged, more than ready to take to the skies again. Despite your deep hatred for how hard Arlie ran you and your teammates for practices, the rush of the Quidditch games and the crispness of the air around you as you flew for the Snitch made the grueling practices and horrid early mornings worth it.

You flew up to face across from Cedric Diggory as Madam Hooch dragged the chest of Quidditch balls out to the middle of the field below.

"You'll still go out with me next weekend if we beat you, right, y/n?" he called over to you, a giant grin on his face.

"Even though you don't have to worry about that, I'll say yes to ease your worries," you called back, your grin equally large.

"We'll see about that, love," he yelled as the balls were released and the game began. Your heart skipped a beat as you kicked your broom into gear, flying after the Hufflepuff Seeker and the Snitch you weren't sure he was following.

You paid little attention to the rest of your team as you darted around the field that day. Either Cedric was on your tail or you were on his, both of you darting around Bludgers and spotting the Snitch—only to lose it seconds later.

Finally, you saw the Snitch—and you managed to find it again even after glancing up at the scoreboard—Slytherin 80, Hufflepuff 110. You quickly darted around Cedric to follow it, knowing you didn't have very much of a head-start. You zipped around a Bludger headed straight for you as you followed the golden ball through its anything-but-straight course, and you scooted forward on your broom as you reached your hand out in order to grab it.

Your fingers grazed it slightly—and then it was in your hand.

"EVERGLADE CATCHES THE SNITCH!" the announcer howled, and your classmates in the stands went wild. "SLYTHERIN WINS, 230 TO 110!"

You landed safely, sliding off your broom into the arms of your teammates, all of them hauling you up and cheering for you—all except Draco.

Silver caught up to you as you left the tent after the game, nudging you with his elbow. "Nice catch there, Everglade."

"Only the best for the Quidditch team," you said with a laugh.

"Oi, y/n!" You turned back to see Arlie motioning for you to return to the tent.

"Come by my dorm once you're done," Silver said. "Marin's gonna be there and she and I wanted to talk to you for a bit."

You were confused, but you gave him a thumbs-up anyway. "Will do," you said with a smile as you turned to jog back to the Quidditch tent.