Chapter 49: More dates, More arguments

Draco overhears the wrong part of your conversation with Gordon...

~~~

Three weeks went by faster than you could say your new "boyfriend's" name. It wasn't news across the school that Ravena and Gordon were dating the way it had been when y/n and Draco went public, but you were grateful for the change of pace. You'd had enough of any kind of "limelight" to last you the rest of your life.

You'd also somehow gotten away with staying every Friday night (and almost every Saturday night) in Draco's room. If Juniper was suspicious of anything, she never voiced it. Whenever you came back late Saturday or Sunday mornings, she would simply give your tangled hair and wrinkled clothes a once-over before smiling mischievously and giving you a thumbs-up.

"I guess Gordon knows how to keep a woman coming back," she commented as you returned the third Saturday morning in a row. Your hair was tied up in a messy bun and there was a darkening hickey you were only vaguely aware of on full display close to the base of your neck.

You smiled at her, the feelings Draco had provided you with the night before still very fresh in your mind. "Yeah," you started, choosing your words carefully. "He says it's in the Ravenclaw nature."

Juniper laughed. "Arlie says the same thing about Slytherins," she said as she flipped her hair over her shoulder.

You were glad Juniper believed that you were with Gordon every weekend. It made your life a little easier, not having to make up lies or come up with excuses every time you came back into the room.

In reality, though, you hadn't even kissed Gordon Buckling. To be fair, though, he hadn't tried to kiss you yet, so you hadn't exactly had to deal with it either. But you knew it was coming, and that's what stressed you out.

You tried not to think about the whole situation as you met Gordon out in the courtyard that evening, settling on swings that you were surprised Snape hadn't taken down yet. Gordon wrapped his arm around you, and you leaned into him out of habit; you were much more used to leaning into Draco's body.

You fit better in Draco's arms, you realized.

"You know, Ravena, I think this will be my new favorite hideout space with you," Gordon said quietly as the two of you rocked back and forth. "Almost nobody can see us out here, at least in this specific swing."

You hummed in response; you were really more focused on the setting sun. The sky was turning a beautiful shade of orange, and the clouds had turned pink to complement it.

"Do you ever think about the future, Ravena?" Gordon asked then, and you looked up at him to see he was staring out at the horizon as well.

"I mean, sure," you said passively, not entirely sure what he was asking for. "I think about what I want to do after graduation, I think about who I might end up marrying, I'm always looking towards the future, more or less."

Gordon's arm around you tightened as he exhaled deeply. "I never really started thinking about that until I met you," he admitted then, and you felt heat rush to your face at his admission. "I used to take things a day at a time, you know? Like, I knew what I wanted to do once I got out of school, but at the same time I never really put much thought into it. My dad's already working for the Ministry, and I always wanted to go right into the same field. So I've got that opening waiting for me already. I never had to worry about anything. I never had to think about anything beyond the day I was currently living. And I know we've only been dating a few weeks, but I really think you've helped open my eyes to what the future could actually hold, not just for me, but for you and me together."