Chapter 37: Summertime sadness

The school year ends and you head home with your family, but Draco unexpectedly shows up a few weeks later.

~~~

The rest of the term felt like it flew by. And you were grateful for that. You only saw Voldemort two more times, and each time, he changed what he wanted from you. It was now your mission, over the summer, to break into Dumbledore's tomb with Draco and steal the Elder Wand so that the Dark Lord could finish what he'd started and finally murder Harry Potter.

You hadn't spoken to the boy much outside of class since you'd agreed to be friends with him. You hadn't meant to lose touch with him so quickly, it had just sort of—happened. You'd beaten them in the Quidditch final game to take the House Cup for the year, something your teammates had celebrated for the better part of a week. You knew in the back of your mind that it would've felt a lot better if you'd been able to celebrate it with Draco by your side.

But no, the Slytherin boy hadn't spoken to you unless it was necessary since you'd stormed out of his room in tears so many weeks before. You had made plans to meet up a few weeks into the summer, to make the trek out to Dumbledore's tomb and somehow steal the Elder Wand. But that had been the extent of your communication.

"Now, remember, y/n, maybe actually write to us this summer?" Marin requested, and Juniper nodded. "Since you didn't last summer," Juniper cut in, and Marin smiled slightly. The three of you were standing on Platform 9¾ once more, awaiting both your things and the sight of your respective sets of parents.

You nodded. "I will, I'll make sure I set up some reminder," you said absentmindedly. You weren't sure you wanted to write to Marin, you two still hadn't really settled your argument that you'd had months before, when you'd told her you weren't sure you wanted to join Dumbledore's army against Voldemort. Marin, on the other hand, wholeheartedly had, and you still weren't sure where either of you stood with the other. So you simply...hadn't spoken about it.

Your things had already been loaded off of the train, and you stood by them, sitting on your large chest and waiting with the rest of your luggage as you waited for your parents.

You spotted the Malfoys farther down the platform, and you watched as Draco and Narcissa loaded Draco's things onto a dolly and wheeled off. Draco turned around for just a moment at the last second, catching your eye and holding it for just a moment before he turned back around, leaving the platform behind. You knew it likely didn't mean anything at all, but you allowed yourself to feel a flutter of hope at the realization that he hadn't glared at you when he saw you for the first time in weeks. He'd been doing that ever since you had gotten back from Malfoy Manor the last time, and you'd grown so accustomed to it that seeing a blank expression on the Slytherin boy's face caused your heart to skip a beat all over again.

You sighed as Juniper spotted her parents and disappeared from your and Marin's side, hugging the both of you and promising to write once more. You gazed over the platform for what felt like hours, sitting there still even as Marin also disappeared to find her parents.

You finally spotted them coming through the portal into the platform almost half an hour late, their eyes wide and hair disheveled as they hurried over to you.
Bear and Ariana Everglade, two of the most loving people you'd ever have the chance to meet. They both ran up to you, enveloping you in a hug as they apologized for being so late.

"It isn't a problem, Mom," you reassured the both of them, thanking your father quietly as he picked up your chest for you.

The three of you headed back across the portal, arriving on King's Cross as you did every single year after school had let out.

"Where's Oliver?" you asked, watching as your parents exchanged a glance.

"We figured it would be safest if he remained home when we picked you up this year," your father informed you. "With rumors of You-Know-Who beginning to return to power, the less he knows about a Squib in an otherwise pureblood family, the better."