Chapter 27: "I don't know"

Draco returns. You tell him about your patronus and your meeting with Dumbledore.

~~~

A whole week went by before you even got wind of Draco again. But, much like his character, he showed up unannounced, unexpectedly, and unnoticed by the rest of Hogwarts.

Or, at least, if they noticed him, none of them said anything about his mysterious disappearance and reappearance.

They also didn't say anything about his wardrobe of exclusively long-sleeved shirts, or his diminishing appearance, or the dark circles that had appeared under his eyes.

But you noticed all of these things. Maybe it was because you already knew your boyfriend was a Death Eater, but you couldn't say for sure.

All that mattered to you was his presence in your room the night after he returned to Hogwarts.

You sat on the edge of your bed, and Draco stood in between your legs, his head resting on your shoulder as you held him tightly.

"God, y/n, there's so much I want to tell you," he said, his arms wrapped around your middle.

"But you can't," you breathed, and he nodded even with his head buried in the crook of your neck. "But I can't," he echoed.

"There are some things I have to tell you, though," you said tentatively, and you watched Draco's expression carefully as he stood up to look into your eyes.

"What happened?" he asked.

"It was all while you were gone," you said by way of beginning to explain.

Draco put his hands on top of your thighs as you kept talking, and you tried to direct your mind back to the matters at hand as he did so.

"Last week in Defense Against the Dark Arts, I volunteered to try casting Expecto Patronum again, and because of the memory I actually focused on, I ended up producing a full, corporeal Patronus."

Draco's eyes shot wide open, and his jaw dropped. "Y/N, that's incredible," he exclaimed. "Why didn't you tell me immediately?"

You rolled your eyes. "That was literally exactly what I was coming into your room to tell you, but you jumped and hid your arm, so I ended up getting kind of distracted."

Draco sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Okay, so that's my fault. Got it. Is that it?"

"No," you said, and he nodded. "Professor Lupin was so impressed by what I did that he dismissed class early and ran to tell Dumbledore what I'd done."

"Dumbledore knows a lot of things that end up only causing harm," Draco muttered, bringing up his hand to brush some of your hair out of your face. "What happened after that? Did you get called to his office?"

You nodded. "It was a few days later, but yes. You'd already left the castle, and I got dismissed from Potions class early to go talk to him. I went up to his office and everything."

Draco's eyes portrayed a nervousness you were surprised by, and when he didn't ask any further questions, you continued with your story.

"He told me basically that I was one of the most powerful witches he'd ever seen," you expressed. "He told me that Harry Potter and I were some of the most talented sorcerers Hogwarts had ever been privileged to see come through the doors, and he asked me to ally myself with the forces fighting against Voldemort. He seems to think that Harry and I would be unstoppable together."

Draco sucked in a sharp breath through his teeth, his demeanor changing entirely. He withdrew his physical contact from you, folding his arms and walking to the other side of the room to gaze out your window.