Chapter 7: Butterbeer & Shortcuts

You meet Draco at the Astronomy tower, things went better than you expected...

~~~

The walk to the Astronomy Tower felt like it took forever. You were grateful that there weren't a lot of students walking around to notice you in an outfit that was clearly meant to stand out.

By the time you made it to the staircase that took you up to the tower, your heart was beating out of your chest. What could Draco possibly want that was so important you had to meet him alone, in a secluded tower, so close to curfew that as few students would be around as possible?

You took a deep breath as you ascended the stairs up to the top of the tower. You had half a mind to simply use the Ascendio charm, but you knew you hadn't had nearly enough practice. With your luck, you'd smack yourself into the ceiling.

You got to the top of the tower just as the sun was disappearing over the horizon. You breathed a sigh of contentment at seeing the stars beginning to peek out through the black canvas that was the night sky, the darkness blending into the orange and pink colors that still surrounded the setting sun.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" came Draco's voice, startling you out of your reverie.

You shrugged. "I didn't really come here for the view. Not this time, anyway."

Draco nodded, his face unreadable. You'd never seen him this uneasy before. You weren't entirely sure how to respond to it.

"What did you need?" you asked, cutting right to the chase. You didn't want to be up here with him, alone, any longer than you had to be.

"First of all, why are you so dressed up?" Draco asked, giving you a very non-subtle once-over. That damn smirk appeared almost immediately. "Was someone excited to see me?"

You rolled your eyes. "More like I needed a confidence boost, in the event that you just wanted to insult me again."

His smile faded, his grey eyes softening. "I didn't call you up here just to insult you, y/n. I'm not that big of a dick."

You folded your arms, gesturing with a hand for him to continue. "What did you need, then?" you asked. "If we can avoid breaking curfew, I'd like to."

He sighed, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Neither of us want to get kicked off the Quidditch team," he said finally. "Can we agree on that much?"

You nodded, still not entirely sure where he was going with this.

"This means we have to attempt to be friends," he continued, the tips of his ears beginning to turn red.

Realization hit you, even though you wished it hadn't.

"So, what, you want to—hang out?" you asked, praying he'd say no.

"I feel like we should," he said. "It was fine when we went to Hogsmeade together two nights ago. We just have to be like that all the time."

"Draco, I'm already tutoring you," you pointed out.

Draco shrugged. "I'm not saying we have to hang out all the time," he said, his tone implying that it should've been obvious. "I still have Crabbe and Goyle, and you still have...Juniper? Whoever."

"I have Marin, Silver, Juniper, and Arlie," you said indignantly.

"Sure, sure," he said with a wave of his hand. "Just, I don't know, maybe dinner at Hogsmeade once a week or something?"

You mulled it over, weighing as many pros and cons as your tired mind could pull up.

"I can do once a week," you agreed finally. "Tutoring Mondays and Fridays, dinner on Wednesdays?"