Chapter 42: Scrambling

Not to worry. You're only mostly dead.

~~~

(Draco's POV)

I heard y/n hit the floor before I was able to move around to see her body. The Elder Wand clattered to the white tile floor beside her, and I still couldn't say a thing. The Silencing Charm felt like cotton wrapping itself around my vocal cords, stopping them from cooperating. My heart had frozen in my chest the second I heard her body hit the floor, and by the time I sat up to look at her, I knew she was already dead.

I felt the Silencing Charm release me, finally, and that's when the guttural scream I'd been trying to get out for what felt like hours released from my body. It sounded horrifying, like I was the one who was being murdered. But no, it was my y/n, lying lifeless on the floor. It still hurt me to move, the effects of the Cruciatus Curse still making me regret my every move. But gathering y/n into my arms made me temporarily forget how badly I hurt, and I felt my hot tears streaming down my face as I pulled her limp body closer to my own.

Voldemort stooped down quickly, not even deeming it necessary to speak as he scooped the Elder Wand up off the ground. He smiled menacingly as he held it up, turning it over in his hands the same way he had done when y/n had handed it to me just a little bit before.

He turned back to the fireplace, stating "Incendio!" and I watched as the fire in the fireplace sprang to life once more, showering the room in a dim light all over again.

"That felt much better," he said quietly, and I couldn't bring myself to say anything in retaliation. Even as he turned back to me, his mouth twisting in disgust at the position I was in. Sitting on the ground, barely able to hold my own head up from the pain I was in, and yet I was cradling my dead girlfriend to my chest with all the strength I still had in me.

"Pathetic," he barked, even as he passed me by to exit the study. "Love is a weakness, Draco Malfoy. It would do you good to learn that sooner rather than later."

I didn't say another word to him. I knew that anything I said would be something the dark wizard would be very quick to make me regret, and I couldn't handle another round of the Cruciatus Curse. I barely held it together the first time, and that was because I had to try my best to not worry y/n too much. I barely noticed it when she threw herself over me, but I was still grateful that Voldemort hadn't turned his wand on her for a move that was fairly foolish. At least, he hadn't done it right then.

I heard his voice outside the study, and I strained to hear the words I knew he was most likely speaking to my mother.

"Narcissa, I have things to attend to," he said curtly. "I'll be back in around a week's time. Do not allow anyone but me or another Death Eater into your house."

"Yes, My Lord," came my mother's reply. Then, a few seconds later, I heard a loud crack, and I knew Voldemort had Apparated somewhere else. He was gone—for now.

She entered the room then, seeing me holding y/n's body. She sighed, glancing only briefly at my face, and I knew she could see the tear tracks on my cheeks. I couldn't even formulate her name, but it didn't matter. She was by my side in a matter of seconds, kneeling down to look over y/n.

I felt her start moving y/n out of my arms, and out of instinct my grip tightened. "No," I pleaded, the first word I'd spoken since I'd screamed so gutturally a few moments before. My throat was rough, both from screaming and sobbing over y/n's body, and the word hurt to even speak. "Don't take her from me," I begged.

"Quiet," my mother hissed, and I was taken aback by her calculated coldness. But she didn't reach for me again. She placed two fingers on y/n's neck, and I sucked in a deep breath as I realized she was checking for a pulse.