Chapter 48: Fake dates

You go on a dinner date with the Ravenclaw boy from before, and it goes about as well as you'd hoped it to.

~~~

The next day dawned far before you were ready. You'd stayed out way too late with Draco, and you weren't ready to go find some poor bloke to become "friends" with.

You felt awful about using someone, despite the fact that you'd done exactly the same thing to Harry Potter just a year before.

However, you supposed, you'd stayed friends with the Gryffindor. And, you realized then, you also hadn't done it to hide from Voldemort.

The Carrows were still running Defense Against the Dark Arts. You had moved to the back of the classroom in the hopes that they'd be unable to see you and draw the conclusion that you had withdrawn.

As it turned out, so had Gordon. The Ravenclaw you'd been forced to Cruciate slid into the seat next to you, giving you a smile that was far brighter than the moods of most of the students at Hogwarts since the term had started.

The two of you worked closely together that class, exchanging whispers that somehow went unnoticed by Alecto and Amycus.

You never thought that class ended quickly enough, and today was no exception. You heard the Carrows call back four students as you gathered your things as quickly as possible, and you cringed as you ran out of the room, hoping you wouldn't see those classmates chained to the wall in the Great Hall at dinner.

"Hey, Ravena," Gordon called after you as you headed down the hallway. "Wait up!"

You turned around as he caught up to you, waiting for what he had to say.

"I was wondering if you'd want to—get dinner together tonight?" he asked. "I really like you."

He blushed a deep red after he blurted out the last sentence, and you had a feeling he hadn't meant to let that out so quickly.

"Sure," you said with a smile, realizing that perhaps finding someone to keep your cover was going to be easier than you'd originally thought. "I'll meet you at six?"

He nodded eagerly, seeming surprised that you'd said yes. "I—it's a date, is that okay?"

You chuckled a little. "Yes, that's okay. I didn't think it wasn't a date, don't worry."

His smile grew even bigger, if that was even possible. "Great!" he said loudly, garnering the looks of a few students passing by. "I'll see you at six!"

He turned and ran away, and you couldn't help but smile at how eager the Ravenclaw boy was. You felt almost the same, you did like Gordon's company. You just didn't know how you were going to have to break the news to him about who you really were—when that time inevitably came.

The rest of your classes were worlds easier than Defense Against the Dark Arts. Granted, they weren't easier because of the coursework, but because you didn't have to worry nearly as much about ending up chained to the wall in the Great Hall for hours on end, forced to stand against the wall for what felt like an endless amount of time as students filed in and out of the hall for dinner, trying not to look at you, but failing miserably.

You hurried back to your dorm room after your last class. It was 4:40, you had nearly exactly an hour and a half before you had to meet Gordon for dinner.

You sighed as you entered your room again, which caught Juniper's attention. She was sat at her desk as you entered, and she perked up a bit as you came into the room.

"Trouble in paradise?" she asked with a small smile. You gave her a confused look, and she clarified. "You sighed as you came in, is something up?"