Chapter 33: Death draught & Exposures

Draco admits to you that he's incapable of killing Dumbledore, but you step in to fill the vacancy.

~~~

You took the next few weeks in as much stride as possible, despite not speaking to Draco nearly at all. You spoke to him in Potions, but beyond the words that were required, your mouth remained shut.

You could sense the impending doom surrounding everyone at Hogwarts, though, and you wondered what it meant for Draco. You knew he had to kill Dumbledore eventually, but you didn't know when (or if) he'd be able to bring himself to do that.

The biggest problem you were worried about was that you weren't sure if you and Draco had broken up or if you were just stuck in one of the biggest arguments you'd ever had. Considering he hadn't even burst into your room to get mad at you for hanging out with Harry the way he'd been doing, you had begun to worry that it was the first option.

You didn't want things to be over, the Dark Mark on your arm that you'd had to keep hidden for weeks said that much. But you also couldn't handle Draco continually yelling things like that every time he got mad at you.

Rumors had begun that you were now dating the Gryffindor boy you were lately so often seen with, but you and Harry both ignored them. He used it to his advantage, in fact, in order to keep his relationship with his best friend's younger sister out of the spotlight for the time being.

It had been nearly three weeks since you and Draco had spoken outside of classes, and so your surprise was nearly insurmountable when he walked straight into your hide-away in the tree on the shortcut to Hogsmeade, a place you hadn't been to with him in months.

"Y/N, we need to talk," he started. You shifted in your sitting position slightly, closing your Transfiguration book and looking up at him.

"I'll say," you said with a sneer, one that he ignored as he sat down on the ground with you.

"I can't kill Dumbledore," he breathed, his voice shaky. "I can't do it. Nothing I've tried to plan up would work. He's too smart, too clever. I'm a fucking fourth-year. I can't kill him, he's too powerful."

You nodded, sliding your book back into your bag. You had suspected as such. You had imagined he would either admit to being emotionally unable to do it, or academically unable to do it.

"I cannot say I'm surprised, Malfoy," you said coolly, keeping your tone even as you spoke to the Slytherin boy sitting next to you.

"Malfoy? Really? We're back on a last-name basis?"

You looked up at him incredulously. "You're really going to act surprised about that? You haven't spoken to me in three weeks after you told me you wished you'd never met me, Draco. And you're going to tell me you're surprised that I'm not immediately fawning all over you all over again?"

"I expected a little more from my girlfriend, that's all," came his snide remark.

"That's rich, Malfoy, even from you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, moving closer. "You can't break up with me now, not after you've taken the Dark Mark."

You scoffed, standing up and slinging your bookbag over you. "I certainly can," you said indignantly. "But that's besides the point. If you don't kill Dumbledore, Voldemort's likely to kill the both of us."

Draco nodded. "He probably will, especially since he said I have to kill Dumbledore right in front of you."

You swallowed. "This means that if you can't do it, I have to."

Draco nodded grimly, his grey eyes boring directly into yours. "I can't very well tell anyone else about this," he said weakly.

You nodded once, the gears in your mind turning as you tried to formulate a plan in your head.