Chapter 20: Christmas Break

Exams ended, Christmas break begins. Draco and the rest of your friends leave, while you stay behind.

~~~

The next few days blurred together for you, and you were sort of glad they did. The exams flew by in a flurry of papers and red ink on your parchments, and you were just as grateful as the rest of the students in the castle once they were finally over.

You were putting your books away in your chest, silently cheering that you wouldn't have to deal with them for a whole month, when Juniper burst into the room, her suitcase completely overstuffed.

"I almost forgot to say goodbye to you!" she squealed, wrapping you in a giant bear hug. "Don't get too lonely here without me, I'll be back in just twenty-six days!"

"I know," you said with a chuckle. "But I'll have Marin, you know. And if I get super bored, I can always talk to Harry Potter or his friend, that Weasley kid. Ron? I think Ron's his name." Juniper laughed at that.

"Cedric's gonna be gone too, so you won't have to worry about him either," Juniper said. "Just be safe and write me every day. I'll miss you tons!"

"I'll miss you too," you assured the blue-haired girl, giving her one last tight hug before she was gone.

You took yourself back down to the Common Room, reveling in the hustle and bustle of students leaving for Christmas, knowing that you'd have the Slytherin dorms pretty much all to yourself in just a matter of hours.

Although you'd miss Draco while he was gone. It would've been nice to have a nice, playful, lovey Draco for a few weeks while nobody was around to see and tattle on the two of you.

As if hearing his name had summoned him, he came into the Common Room, his eyes lightening as they fell on you.

"I'll see you in a month," you said, wrapping your arms around yourself to fight the urge to hug him. You were in the Common Room, you told yourself. Just a few more weeks and you could hug him in the Common Room all you wanted.

"Fingers crossed," he said with a slight smile, but you slugged his arm. "Don't jinx yourself. Your grades came up a lot, I've got no doubt that I'll be stuck next to you in Potions same as this term."

"Wow, you just can't wait to have me back," Draco teased. His face settled into something more complicit as he looked down at you, your arms still wrapped around yourself.

"I'll see you in a month, princess," he said with a wink, and you felt your stomach do a somersault.

"See you in a month, stupid," you said with a grin.

He picked up his suitcase and walked out of the room, waving slightly to you as he did so.

You sighed as you watched the door close behind him, feeling sadder than you expected at the thought of not seeing him for so long.

You climbed back up the stairs to your dorm, deciding to take a nap as you did so. The snow was falling so nicely outside, it was the perfect setting for a post-exam-time celebration nap.

You wrapped yourself in your biggest blanket, pulling the curtains closed so you could get some quality sleep. You tossed a treat into your owl's cage and hopped up onto your bed, rolling over and closing your eyes.

It felt like only seconds later when your door opened, waking you up and causing you to sit up to see the source of the disturbance.

"I didn't know you were sleeping, I'm sorry, y/n," came Draco's voice.

"Draco??" you said, rubbing at your eyes so the sleep would clear. "I thought you were going home?"

"Change of plans, I guess," he responded. "Dumbledore sent Snape to tell me my father sent a message telling the school to keep me here—he says there's things he's "dealing with" at home that he'd rather not involve me in, or something."