Chapter 5: Detention

You and Draco get stuck in detention together. You also missed dinner so you both have to find food together.

~~~

You hated Charms class only slightly less than you hated Potions. You hated Charms since you also had to share that class with Draco, but the silver lining of Charms class was that you didn't have to sit next to the boy. Just a row in front of him. You were able to ignore him for the most part, but today seemed to be a day when he didn't want to be ignored.

"Y/N," he whispered. You didn't respond, instead continuing to listen to Professor Flitwick's lecture on the problems the Asciendo charm would cause if you didn't properly flick your wand to lower yourself safely.

"Psst, y/n!" came Draco's whisper, louder this time. You still refused to acknowledge him. You were legitimately trying to listen to the lecture, you figured you could use this spell the next time a Beater knocked you off your broom.

You felt a piece of paper hit the back of your head, and it then flew around your shoulder to land on your open book in front of you.

You let out a huff as you opened the note, Draco's chicken scratch scrawled across the small piece of paper.

"Meet me after class, I have a question for you."

You scowled. He could've just stopped you after class.

Yeah, but you wouldn't have stopped, your subconscious reminded you.

Rolling your eyes, you went to crumple up the paper, but Flitwick stopped in front of you just as you picked it up.

"Passing notes in class, are we?" Flitwick asked. His tone was jovial, but his eyes were stern. You flushed bright red, shaking your head vigorously.

"The paper in your hand seems to say otherwise, Miss Everglade," he reprimanded, holding his hand out. "I'm afraid that's five points from Slytherin and detention for you after class."

You sighed, knowing there was no way out of this. Draco laughed out loud behind you, and you dropped your head onto your book in embarrassment.

"Oh, I didn't realize that was a joke to you, Mr. Malfoy," Flitwick said, crossing his arms. "Let's hope you find detention with Miss Everglade just as entertaining."

You didn't even lift your head from your book. First you'd gotten detention for something you hadn't even done, and now you had to spend that detention with Draco fucking Malfoy.

"I hate Charms class," you muttered, and luckily, Flitwick didn't overhear that.

Once class was finally over, you and Draco met Professor Flitwick in the empty Charms classroom, and he looked at the both of you very disapprovingly.

"Y/N didn't pass any notes," Draco blurted, shocking you. "I'm the one that threw the paper at her head."

Flitwick gave Draco a once-over, nodding. "Thank you for your honesty, Mr. Malfoy. I will reinstate the House Points I took from Miss Everglade for that. However, the both of you were still quite disruptive in class today, so I'm afraid I can't take away your detention."

You sighed, nodding in acceptance. "Thanks anyway, Professor Flitwick."

He smiled. "You're a good kid, Y/N. Both of you are, really. I have faith in the two of you."

He then leaned back in his chair, gesturing to the room around you. "Your task is to clean my classroom today. You can leave either when you're finished or at the end of two hours, whichever comes first. Stack any books in stacks of no more than 7 and arrange them in alphabetical order if you would. You are permitted to use magic only to clean any dust off of the rafters and clean the floors and chalkboards. Am I understood?"