Chapter 9: Potions & Cedric Diggory

You have your first tutoring sessions with Draco, and it goes remarkably well.

~~~

You barely had time to think before it was Friday. Although suspicious, Snape had agreed to allow you and Draco to use the Potions classroom for tutoring purposes.

"The boy could use some help," Snape had said as he gave you his permission. "Five points to Slytherin for you for stepping up to the plate."

Quidditch practice had taken forever, also, because Arlie had made the team drill and drill and drill.

"Hufflepuff is never going to let us live it down if they beat us two games in a row," he had yelled by way of a post-practice 'pep talk'. "Our focus this week is teamwork and aim. Our scoring needs to improve, but for our team to improve, we have to work together."

His glances at you and Draco as he emphasized "teamwork" and "work together" did not go unnoticed by either of you.

Draco beat you to the Potions classroom, which didn't really surprise you. You had washed your hair in your post-practice shower, so it now laid down your back in big, shiny waves.

You handed the ingredient list for the brain elixir to Draco as you pulled out your cauldron. He wandered around grabbing the ingredients while you pulled out your Potions book, opening it to the right page.

He brought all the ingredients to the desk where you sat, the cauldron across from where you had the book open to the recipe.

"What happened when you messed this up the first time?" you asked, reading over the part of the book that told you what things caused what bad reactions.

"Um...it sort of gurgled, then it turned red and evaporated," he said, staring into the empty cauldron.

You read through the book to find what that meant. "Okay, it looks like you stirred it completely before you added the hippogriff feather, and you were supposed to add the feather after you stirred six times."

"So, I stir six times, then add the feather, then stir four more times to make it ten stirs?"

"That's what it looks like," you said. "I'm pretty sure that's what Snape told us to do, anyway."

Draco nodded. "I'll get the water started for this, then."

You agreed, looking through the ingredients he'd brought. "You have your wand, right?"

He nodded again, pulling it out and handing it to you to set on the table. You were surprised at how sleek it looked, admiring it as you set it down too.

Once Draco had the water ready for the ingredients, you handed him the first one.

"Pour this one in slowly," you said firmly, holding the book open in your arms. "Remember, Potions is about taking your time, not rushing to get it done as quickly as possible. The Polyjuice Potion takes a month to brew for a reason."

Draco nodded, opening the vial, and pouring the ingredient in slowly, as ordered. He emptied it and placed it back on the desk, looking at you expectantly.

"Here, you read the book," you said, placing it down. "I can't tell you how to do everything."

He huffed slightly but didn't argue. You stood by his side, watching as he read through the ingredients and added them one by one.

"Okay, now here's the tricky part," you said once he picked up the feather. "Stir six times first, remember?"

He nodded, beginning to stir. He counted to six, then pulled the spoon out. He looked at you nervously, and you nodded, handing him the feather back. "Just drop it in, and wait until it dissolves before you stir again," you instructed.