Chapter 51: Revelio

Your secret's out...

~~~

Your sleep hadn't been that peaceful to begin with, but the screaming that woke you up certainly didn't help.

You peeled your eyes open to see Juniper close to your bed, her face paler than you'd ever seen it. Her eyes were wide and frantic, and as you woke up further, you could see how badly even her hands were shaking.

"What's wrong??" you asked, hurriedly throwing the covers off of your body. You started to push yourself up off of your bed, but Juniper just backed away more.

"Wh—who the fuck are you?" she demanded. You'd never heard her voice so shaky and shrill before, and it only served to make you more confused.

"What are you talking about?" you asked. You felt like you'd been asking that exact question a lot lately.

"What are you talking about?" Juniper shot back. "Quit fucking playing dumb and tell me who you are!"

"I—I'm Ravena, your roommate!" you hollered. You were thoroughly confused by this point, you had no idea what Juniper's problem was.

"Then explain to me," she shouted back, "why do you look like my old roommate y/n, who was killed by You-Know-Who four months ago!!"

That's when it hit you. In all the chaos between you, Draco, and Gordon the night before, not only had you left before Draco could tell you what his mother wanted him to tell you, you had left before he could change you back into Ravena. In everything going on, you had forgotten completely.

"Juniper, I—I can explain," you rushed out. Your heart had leapt into your throat. You knew you could explain, and you would, but you had no idea where you'd even begin.

"Then you'd better fucking start," Juniper snarled, plopping down on her bed.

You paced back and forth a couple of times, wracking your brain for a good place to start.

"I did almost die over the summer," you started. "Voldemort did try to kill me. He did it because I was in possession of the Elder Wand, and he thought he had to kill me in order to gain its allegiance."

"But why did you have it to begin with?" Juniper asked. "Where did it come from?"

"I—I had to retrieve it," you admitted, only barely remembering to leave out the fact that you'd desecrated Dumbledore's tomb to do so.

"For Voldemort?" Juniper nearly shrieked. "You mean to tell me you've been working for the Dark Lord this entire time??"

"Shhhh!" you pleaded. "I didn't do it by choice! He found out that Draco and I were together, and he kidnapped me. When I went missing for three days last year, remember that? I had to either take the Dark Mark and pledge my allegiance to him, or he was going to kill me and Draco."

Juniper's face had grown cold, her demeanor made of ice. "Show me the Mark," she said, her voice low. You couldn't quite make out her tone, but you knew it wasn't one of happiness.

You sighed heavily, putting out your arm and rolling up your sleeve. The gasp she let out at the sight of the black skull-and-snake permanently, magically etched onto your arm was a sound you knew you'd never forget.

"So you let everyone believe you were dead this whole time," she finally said. "You let everyone believe you'd been murdered by the Dark Lord, when you were prancing about under our noses this entire time."

You knew by the tone of her voice that she was not happy. In fact, this kind of cool, calculated anger was something you'd only witnessed in Juniper twice before—and you'd known the woman almost six years.