Chapter 55: The Sword of Godric Gryffindor

You, Harry, and Hermione head out to find the sword of Godric Gryffindor. You're assisted by an unexpected houseguest.

~~~

You knew Harry trusted you. It was evident when he spoke to you and in his mannerisms. Ever since you'd cast your tiger Patronus, his demeanor had changed and he'd started speaking to you the way he had when you two had been at school together. It was a nice taste of familiarity, one you hadn't had in almost a year.

In many of the same ways, you could tell that Hermione didn't trust you. It was incredibly clear in how closed off she became when you joined the conversation, or when you offered any bit of advice to Harry. It was frustrating, to be sure, but you also supposed it made sense. It made sense for her to be cautious as it was, what with her and Harry both running from Voldemort and trying to destroy pieces of his soul, that she wouldn't be willing to trust every person she crossed paths with.

Hermione also hadn't interacted with you very much at all when the both of you were still at Hogwarts, and she'd never seen you and Harry interact before today. At least, she hadn't seen the two of you interact when it was just the two of you.

Hermione was slightly behind you and Harry as the three of you followed the clairvoyance potion you had given Harry.

The three of you were after the sword of Godric Gryffindor, because Harry and Hermione had reason to believe it could destroy the objects Voldemort had put the pieces of his soul into after he had split it into seven parts. The whole concept of Horcruxes and splitting one's soul was still very confusing to you, but the confusion was not going to stop you from doing your best to help Harry.

So you followed him, trekking after the Boy who Lived as he clawed his way through branches and bristles, bushes and leaves all across the patch of woods he was journeying through. You had to admire his determination, if nothing else.

It felt like hours later when the Gryffindor finally came to a dead stop, in a clearing next to a large lake. He began to look around frantically, and you weren't sure what he was searching for. When he turned and made eye contact with you, though he grabbed your shoulders roughly.

"The image disappeared," he said, the look in his eyes wild and desperate. "I came out to the clearing, looked at the lake, and everything in my head just—evaporated. What happened, what do I do??"

You let out a breath as you stepped back from Harry, shrugging his hands off your shoulders. "It means you found it," you responded, watching his expression relax. "The sword, I mean. Because the image disappeared when you looked at the lake, it means the sword is...in the lake."

Harry looked back at the dark body of water. "Fuck," he breathed, running a hand through his hair. "Who even knows how deep that shit is?"

You didn't know. The lake was dark and murky, and you weren't sure you even wanted to know what sort of monstrosities could be lurking in the muddy water.

But you knew that the sword was not an optional object in this particular quest, so you had to at least attempt to help Harry and/or Hermione see if it was, in fact, within the depths of the lake.

Harry shook his head roughly, his hand absentmindedly reaching up to grab the locket hanging around his neck. You could tell just by looking at it that it emanated dark energy. It wasn't something anybody wanted to be around for longer than they had to.

"I don't know how I'm gonna be able to stand that lake long enough to find the sword," he admitted meekly. "I don't have any gillyweed or anything."

You racked your brain for a minute. You knew you certainly didn't have any gillyweed with you, and by the look on Hermione's face, it hadn't occurred to her to grab and pack any either.