Chapter 50: Protego

Gordon thinks you're cheating. You head up to the divination tower at midnight to see Draco, hell unfolds.

~~~

You blinked and two more weeks went by. It was the beginning of November now, and you had somehow still managed to avoid kissing Gordon. Unfortunately for you, though, by this point he was getting impatient. He kept saying that all he wanted to do was kiss you, and you could tell he was losing the ability to mask his hurt when you kept flinching or turning away every time he went to kiss anything but your forehead. Today was no different, and by this point, Gordon was very clearly getting tired of waiting.

You were back in your swing, classes having finished for the day, and this time you had to force yourself not to look around for Draco as you sat with your Ravenclaw "boyfriend". Gordon held your hand in his own, his thumb absentmindedly stroking back and forth across the back of your hand. He placed his other hand on your face, and you looked up at him, knowing full well what was coming.

"Ravena," he said quietly, "can I kiss you?"

You sighed heavily as you turned away, and Gordon took that as his answer as he withdrew himself completely from you. "Are you ever going to let me kiss you?" he demanded, the exasperation in his voice as clear as day. "We've been dating for more than a month now, Ravena. What do I have to do?"

You felt tears prick your eyes as you looked back over at him. "You promised you'd be patient," you said, both disgusted at how pathetic you sounded and impressed by your own acting skills.

"That was when I thought I'd have to wait a week, not a month and a half," he responded, rubbing a hand over his face. "I know I sound like a dick, but I'm not asking you to have sex with me or anything. I'm literally just asking to kiss you."

You exhaled heavily through your nose, trying to find the words to make up yet another excuse. However, before you could, Gordon's eyes widened and his head snapped back over to you.

"Ravena, is there someone else?" he asked, his voice low and tone icy. "Is that why you won't kiss me?

Your heart thundered in your chest as you turned back to the Ravenclaw boy next to you.

"How could you?" you demanded. "I've barely been here three months—and you think I've already found two people that are interested in me?"

Gordon rolled his eyes and folded his arms. "That's the only other reasonable explanation I can come up with."

"You fucking Ravenclaws think anything can just be explained away," you snapped, sliding out of the swing.

"Wait, Ravena," came Gordon's voice, his tone changing immediately. "Where are you going?"

"I've told you why I wanted to take things slower," you said through your teeth, hoping the anger rolling off of you was palpable. "If you choose not to believe me, then that's your problem. I'm going back to my dorm."

And you shouldered your bookbag and left, even amidst Gordon's weak protests and weaker apologies.

You went straight to your dorm, only dropping your façade of anger once the dorm door shut behind you. You didn't want Gordon to be legitimately upset with you, but you couldn't really afford to have him suspicious of you cheating on him. That was a slippery slope that would lead directly to Draco.

You knew then that you had to break up with Gordon before things went any farther. He'd just given you plenty of ammunition to do so. He clearly didn't trust you, if he thought you were cheating on him. Arguably, you were, but you were also living two different lives. Ravena was being loyal to Gordon, y/n was being loyal to Draco. It was a very thin line and a very flexible technicality, but you were going to run with it for as long as you could.