Chapter 24

~Flashback~
"Brother...please wake up."

A single girl cried out as she held her older brother in her arms. The sound of several children fighting one another could be heard as they used their Ether Gear. This was part of something known as the Eden Project. To test those who have the potential to defeat the Demon King. In order to test them, the researchers behind this project had given the children one objective. The last one to survive will proceed.

"Please...Saechika, get up."

"Rui.....i'm sorry. It looks like, I can't protect you anymore. That's why, as your older brother, I have one selfish desire. Please Rui, you have to live."

Rui's eyes widen in shock when she noticed something

Rui's eyes widen in shock when she noticed something. Saechika's heart beat had completely stopped. His breathing was no longer functioning. In her arms, her older brother's dead body was resting. Her eyes slowly began to lose the light in them. Her brother, her only family, was dead.

"Brother.........."

As Rui saw her older brother pass away, she was unaware of the ceiling above her beginning to crack. Soon small pieces of rubble fell on her head, but she didn't move. She refused to do so, not if it meant leaving behind her brother's body. Soon the ceiling began to crumble as huge chunks of rubble began to fall down. As Rui saw this, she closed her eye as if she was accepting this fate.

"Maybe...this is for the best. It's better than having to spend another minute in this place. Brother, i'm sorry I kept you waiting."

"Don't be quick to drop dead. You'll make your brother look stupid for saving you."

It was only a matter of moments. Rui was bracing herself for her body to be crushed by the enormous rubble. That feeling never came. Instead, she looked in shock as she saw the huge rubble reduced to mere pebbles as a boy her own age looked at her.

"........you really are a crybaby."

"EH?!"

"If you have time to cry, you have time to survive. Besides, I could hear it in your voice. Your desire to live."

"During that moment, I realized some things. The boy who saved me, his eyes lacked any light in them. They were truly empty, far worse than mine. His voice was cold, but his intention was the opposite. However, even to this day, I think the most memorable thing was his hair. So red....no. It's more beautiful than just a simple red. If I were to describe it...it would be scarlet."

~Flashback ends~
"Rui, is that really you?"

"...thank goodness, you're safe. You even used my real name."

"Of course I did, why wouldn't I?"

"Well....you have a certain habit. When you give people nicknames, it feels like you're trying to keep them at a distance while keeping them in the dark about it. The only times you use a real name is when you're serious, you can't come up with a nickname ...or when you're close to them."