Chapter 11: Kate

POV: Rex

After eating the okapi together. The sun was close to meeting the sea. He figured that they had another 2 or 3 hours left of sunlight. Kadupul did hunt again around dusk. She didn't want to hunt in complete darkness when the jungle became dangerous. Even if they choose to remain on the beach. The group was still close enough to get attacked.

Rex noticed the fox digging the lizard she must have caught in the sand. The air felt noticeably cooler at night, and Rex didn't like it as much. He never realized that the Royal territory must have been addressing the temperature for each ruler's species. As it was the only way to explain how a Polar Bear or a Crocodile could handle the climate.

The wind and weather were strangely calm by the sea. It was like the Guardians of the Sea were able to work on their own without the Statue's aid. Rex did wonder if the sea creatures had their rulers as they seemed to be independent. Well, more independent than the land creatures as he never remembers a Sea turtle, or crab ever seeking an audience with his mother. However, she could have just visited them if they couldn't come to her. This makes sense to him as Queen Roseis would often do this to ensure that her subjects that she cares.

But speaking of the Statue. It was not like twisters, wildfires, or hurricanes ever appear on the island. However, that is considered rare. Well, what if Rufus, the Red Tail Hawk, said was true about the amount of damage the weather can create on the mainland.

"How come the weather is so calm here?" Kadupul asked as she headed towards Rex and Mendax sunbathed in what remained of the sunlight.

At some point during their travels with Mendax. They had told him what was causing the strange weather. So, he knew about the missing Statue. However, the white amur tiger believed that Leona was kidnapped first to weaken the Statue's protection. If you asked, Rex made sense. Angels are regarded as healers of the Island, and if you ever have that Gift. Your rank is raised right below the leader of the tribe. Sometimes, it's even higher than the leader as some species follow Angels more than their leaders.

"Beats me. The Statue is said to help stabilize the weather of the island but never mentions the sea." Rex started to explain.

"You mean ocean." Kadupul corrected with a grin.

Much like his fur, Kadupul's fur started to help her blend in the night. However, Mendax stood out like a sore paw.

Rex rolled his eyes. "We can figure out what is going on tomorrow. Uncle Claws should at least have some idea, right?" He asked the two, but they didn't answer.

Mendax appeared to sleep fine as he must like the coolness of the night. However, Rex felt a bit colder, but he wasn't going to complain. Kadupul had dug a little hole in the sand and snuggled in it. She probably was the most comfortable in this nightly weather. The fox's hole lies in the middle of where the two tigers lay. This ensures that any predators dare to come near that Kadupul can sense it and warn them.

When the morning came. The group remained asleep as if none of them wanted to wake up. However, fate is funny that way. You want to sleep in, and fate creates an alarm clock via a Sea Otter call.

"KATE!!!!!" The Sea Otter hollered out. "KATE!!!!!!" She shouted out again.

Kadupul, Rex, and Mendax ignored this and tried to carry on sleeping.

However, once again life has other plans for our heroes.

Something furry was crawling up Rex's muzzle. It felt lighter, so he knew it wasn't Kadupul. The big cat sighed and heard a small squeak. When Rex finally opened his eyes. He saw a small brown Sea otter pup staring at him.