Chapter 33: The Truth

POV: Swamp

The brown tiger was starting to transform before the Swamp monster's very eyes. However, by the looks of Rex's expression, he was in pain. The muscles grew and stretched. The bones snapped, and the body spouted feathers.

Rex must be in served pain because Swamp started hearing faint whimpers.

Swamp read a book that was more like a guide for new mothers of Mix-Breeds and Gift bearers. It warned that cubs that took too long to Shift for the first time would cause extreme pain as the bones are breaking and refusing.

Swamp thought that reason for this pain is bones become denser and harder as we age. So, Shifting when you are younger means that the bones and muscles have time to adapt to the new change.

Overall, Shifting for any Strength is not a pleasant experience, which is why it is the one that is first taught. Usually, wings, tail, then body. The Great Beast with Wings often described the wings shifting as being the most painful because most land animals don't have wings. However, birds often say that the tail is the most painful because the tail is usually long and narrow.

Swamp always wondered why this crucial ability is the most painful. He never got any information from books and scrolls. Instead, he did get some information when he was traveling along the coast of Acer Swamp. A Siren with fiery red hair and the animal was some kind of fish. The teal and tan Swamp Monster forget the species.

Well, he mentions that the ability of Shifting starts at age twelve for Sirens. It's just part of their culture, but the one thing that stood out is after Swamp asked about the pain.

The Siren laughed and said that they eat kelp with whale blood and sand numbs the pain. The calves will have to eat this weird wrap until they turn fifteen. At this age, their body is used to Shifting pains.

*Note: Siren's young are called calves or kids. It just depends on the culture and location. Northern Sirens usually refer to the young to kids while the Southern is calves.*

Regardless of this, it's mainly a burden that mix-breeds and Gift Bearers have to deal with this pain as most purebloods cannot do this naturally. The only expectation is Elves and Kitsunes as their Shifting comes naturally to them. Swamp doesn't remember if Elves used anything for the pain, but one paragraph only mentions Kitsune. They used their magic as a barrier to the pain.

 The Swamp Monster was always curious about Kitsune and how they were linked with Elves.

Apparently, Elves often used their abilities to trick creatures in the past that they were Kitsunes. However, after they fail to prove their claim. They were killed for their lies.

Swamp turned his attention back to Rex and noticed his claws became sharper as his body grew in size. The Bengal tiger's long striped tail now more look like the lion. His wings were much bigger than Volatus was. They were brown fading into white.

*Odd, Angels usually have the characteristics.* Swamp thought as he continued watching.

The Prince finally stopped growing and was at least a foot taller than the other Griffin. He was larger than the largest Griffin, which is Claws. Swamp couldn't see his eyes but knew they were dilated like a snake.

"Wait, isn't he still a cub?" Zagi asked, not answering Kadupul.

Swamp nodded as Kadupul continued her never-ending gaze at Rex.

"Rex is only seventeen while Volatus is probably around in his late twenties or early thirties." Swamp paused as he felt the ground becoming warm, which means Rex was starting to tap into his powers. "Regardless of age, Griffins grow fast for the first twenty years. Rex shouldn't be this big."