Chapter 18: The News

POV: Mendax

Mendax yawned and stretched sleepily as many of the Crystal Meadow animals were mainly Morning birds.

*Note: Morning Birds as in the animals are morning creatures.*

*No creature in their right mind should be up this early.* Mendax thought bitterly as he noticed Rex and Kadupul had already left the burrow they were sleeping in.

Well, the burrow is made of a vast system of caves. This makes it appear more like an ant colony than anything. However, almost all the creatures within the Crystal Meadow are made up of prey creatures.

*Well, I guess that makes sense as this is the only zone that has no predators.* Mendax thought as he yawned again and made his way up lazily out of the burrow. There was a semi-long hallway to the exit. However, despite the headroom being very roomy. The width was not as only two animals can be side by side in the hallway.

Lucky for the White Tiger, there was no one in the hallways during this time. 

He exited the burrow and he noticed three things: Rex and Kadupul were sitting and were already eating breakfast, the sun hasn't even begun to rise, and a unicorn with a white coat and creamy yellow mane was standing there glaring at him.

*Great,* Mendax could already tell that today was not going to be a great day. The white amur tiger groaned as he walked up towards his friends. Suddenly, a fish was dropped from the sky as an Osprey came out of nowhere. *I guess. They would only let us eat fish.* Mendax thought as he noticed that both Rex and Kadupul were eating fish.

The unicorn said nothing until they all finished the fish. Mendax couldn't tell what fish he was eating, but it tasted like trout mixed with perch.

"Now, it is your turn to tell me; how you got those injuries and survived for this long?" The unicorn spoke with the intensity of a serpent on a bad day.

In this case, is bad news. Prey creatures tend to be more soft-spoken. However, it seems all stereotypes are just thrown out of the window just by some unicorn speaks.

Mendax could already tell that whoever she was, she must be the leader and guardian of the Crystal Meadow.

"I thought the leader is meant to have wings and a horn?" Mendax said, trying to be snarky and test her patience a little.

However, all he got in response was a glare from her.

"Mendax," He heard Rex whisper. "Please, don't test her luck. Do you know how many predators lose their lives just for betraying her trust or losing her favor?" The Prince warned.

Rex must have not been that quiet as Mendax turned to look at the Unicorn just in time to see her show a small smile. Kadupul coughed afterward as if trying to get the boy's attention.

"I'm waiting!" The unicorn hissed, sounding like a predator.

*Well, that is a first for me.* The large white tiger thought. *Well, I guess if the Bengal Tiger Prince could be mistaken for a prey animal, then I guess the verse is true.*

Mendax noticed that Rex was glaring at him. He could tell that the Prince was still mad at for him lying about his true nature. However, Rex never really blurted out that he was a Griffin. Well, the white tiger did guess what he was upon the first meeting. So, it is finally even.

"Oh, would you two just get over it!" Kadupul barked, as she turned her head towards the unicorn. "Dinosaurs. We went to the Island of the Griffins to get some answers. As you know, the weather is acting strange, and the Queen sent us to find the missing statue." The Darwin Fox just told the Unicorn everything.