Chapter 25: Before the Lion's Den

POV: Swamp

The day was very bright. However, Swamp noticed a few storm clouds. They would have to start the plan soon as the Swamp Monster could tell that the Queen was in danger more than they realized. He figured that Rex and the others were still kept in the dark as they appeared to have no knowledge of the Queen's true nature.

Swamp discovered her secret when the seasons started to become unbalanced, which was about two weeks ago. Legend has it that a Royal Phoenix has a major influence on the weather of the island, and it can reflect their mood.

Speaking of the plan.

The Swamp Monster was apprehensive about the whole plan, to begin with, even if he was the one that inspired it. The reason why Swamp wasn't excited about the planned because it meant that one of us had to be bait, which Rex said he would. The Prince claims that since it's his plan, he would do the riskiest part.

*Well, the Prince does have good morals, but I rather it be me. I am the eldest here and can handle the majority of Great Beast as I had a few for meals.* Swamp thought, remembering his past. However, he never did get to try a Griffin as they would always get away from him.

"What can I do?" Currere said with a smile as she was her tail happily.

Swamp did a small smile as he picked her up. It was still early in the day as the group wanted an early start. He walked over to a tree and place her on a branch.

Currere's black fur and feathers blended together, but in the sunlight, the color appeared a deep blue. Swamp sighed as thoughts of Pestis dying filled his head.

"Twig," So far she is the only one that knew his real name. He hasn't told the others yet. "Why are you sad?" Currere spoke in a kind tone.

For only being nine years old, the little bear cub was mature. *I guess you have to be mature quickly for being alone for who knows how long.* Swamp thought, even if he would never admit it. Life with Currere was an adventure that he hopes will never end.

Swamp couldn't face her and pick up a flower. He used his powers to turn a tigerlily into a blue flag iris. "If I grow this iris, then go an seek help." He told Pestis, and she nodded with a frown as she still wanted an answer. The Swamp Monster grabbed another tigerlily and used his power to turn into pale pink rose mallow. "If I grow this flower, then do me a favor and stay put. I don't need to be worrying about you and help the Prince at the same time."

"But what you just said means the same thing. So, what is it?" Currere asked in a confused tone.

Swamp handed over the iris and rose mallow to her. He still couldn't face her.

"Okay, how about the rose mallow means it's safe for me to come to find you," Currere suggested, and he nodded.

*Pestis doesn't realize that it's going to be a slim chance of us making it out alive.* Swamp gulped.

"I can still be helpful," Currere said in an excited tone that she leaped into the air and twirled. She landed on the branched while opening her wings.

Swamp sighed. "You will be helping if I know that you are safe. And do not tell Mendax."

"Why not?" Currere asked. "And who do I even ask for help if Rex said that the Angels are missing. Who else is left?"

The Swamp Monster gulped as he didn't know the answer to the second question. "I just don't trust the white tiger at the moment." He paused. "I do not know their exact location, but the Guardians are close by. However, they would only attack if the Stars of Fate is threatened."

"Pestis, do you understand what I am telling you?" Swamp asked her as she nodded.

"Yes, but I still don't like it." Currere spoked.